Please Support Our Sponsors

Wing SupplyWing Supply

Bankes Duck Boats - Four Rivers Layout Boats - Hughes Waterfowl Systems Inc. - MOmarsh
Refuge Forums  

Go Back   Refuge Forums > Refuge Forums > Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum

Old 08-20-2004, 11:25 AM   #1
redheadcali
Elite Refuge Member

Hanging Camo Clad

Took some shots of the easy way of installing the Camo Clad in large pieces. What you will do is lay the material face down on a flat surface. Get a small piece of the paper backing folded over so it helps hold the material flat and exposes a small strip of the adhesive backing. Tack the vinyl down at the top of the surface and make sure it's where you want it. If it's not, just give it a firm tug and it will come right back up. From there, work your way across and make sure it's not wrinkling under where you just put it down. If it is, it's not on straight most likley in the form of a frown or smile shape. Slowly pull the paper down and apply as you go letting that paper hold it straight like shown bellow.

Always start at the back and work your way forward when your overlapping sheets. You want it so the wind and water are not hitting the leading edge, much in the same way shingles are put on a roof. Hopefuly this will help someone down the line.

redheadcali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 02:56 PM   #2
jimmycat
Refuge Member

I put this on my old boat and had a little problem installing it. I could not keep it from wrinkling because of the rounded shape towards the front of the boat. It was a v-nose so this I think made it a little harder. I used a heat gun and tried to stretch it. This helped a little but still not real flat. I sold the boat but any more info on this would be appreciated because We sell this product. Thanks Jason Western Hunting Supply
jimmycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:04 PM   #3
Benelli Boy
Elite Refuge Member

Location: Wherever the USAF takes me. Currently its Cibolo, Texas
Nice boat, redheadcali! Man, what a trailer!

Call'em in close...Benelli Boy
Benelli Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:11 PM   #4
eriegunner
Senior Refuge Member

where's the best place to buy camo clad sheets and what's the biggest sheets offered???
eriegunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:12 PM   #5
redheadcali
Elite Refuge Member

Jimmy, you got to give it relief cuts and overlap the material. What happens is you start it off even with no presure putting wrinkles then as you get going you'll notice it starting to get wrinkly near where your applying it. Give it a cut and get the material back to no presure and carry on, repeat when neccesary. I did have to put some in this one but didn't have a free hand to click off the method because it is at a make or break time of the instal. This stuff is real forgiving so if it goes down and you have tot put presure on it, it will pop back up. Forget it once you have "Put it down" Just alwys try to overlap so the leading edge is not catching water or wind.

Thanks BB.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:14 PM   #6
redheadcali
Elite Refuge Member

Erie, best peice i've found is from Cabelas for the Delux Boat kit. Just over $41 a sheet for 9 sheets to your door. They only come in 4'x5' that I know of. There is another brand that is much higher definition but it cost $$$ and are smaller sheets.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:16 PM   #7
bullspoonie

That looks great redheadcali. I just ordered some of this stuff but haven't gotten it yet. How much do you overlap the next sheet over the previous one?

I initially was under the impression that it came in long sheets but it looks like it just comes in the 4' x 5' sheets ("deluxe boat kit"=9 sheets, "budget boat kit"=5 sheets I think) and various smaller sizes. They also have 5' long rolls in 2 inch wide and 4 inch wide. Did you use the "permanent" or "removable"? I noticed the removable costs a lot more. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:27 PM   #8
redheadcali
Elite Refuge Member

I like to overlap this stuff at least an inch just so to not cut corners and come up short. Your right on the sheet count on the kits. Take those sheets and cut them down to strips that will fit the surface your gonna cover. If you need the smaller stuff, then buying it already cut would be easier but your not getting the same price as buying it in the deluxe boat kit when you look at square footage.

The removable sucks, get the permanent stuff, they both come off.