Please Support Our Sponsors

Avery OutdoorsAvery Outdoors

Wing SupplyDrake Closeouts @ Wing Supply
Please Support Our Sponsors

Birdman Studios
Birdman Studios - Premium Bird Taxidermy

Dirty Rice Outfitters
Dirty Rice Outfitters

Aero Outdoors - Burbank Guide Service - Doctari Longlines - GearHog.com - Hunting GPS Maps - Relixx Custom Lanyards - Sitka Gear

Go Back   Refuge Forums > Refuge Forums > The Duck Hunters Forum

Old 08-03-2005, 11:19 AM   #1
The Pintailman
Elite Refuge Member

digital camera help

I am going to buy my first digital camera. Take after the hunt pictures and put them here on the refuge. What do you guys use?
The Pintailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:21 AM   #2
PaulinKansas
Elite Refuge Member

sony p140, bought it about a year ago on ebay. even with shipping it was a better price than any mart or electronic retailer. mine also takes movies with sound.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:24 AM   #3
kwsmith
Elite Refuge Member

sony p73, 4 meg. small enough to fit in your pocket, sharp enough to make good prints, and relatively fast handling for a digital. sony p93 is the same camera except that it is 5 meg and slower handling. those are two of the handiest digitals i've ever tried. that p73 stays in my front pocket constantly, right along beside my pocket knife and car keys.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:25 AM   #4
Headgear
Senior Refuge Member

Olympus 770. 10X optical zoom, compact, takes great images and is built like a tank. Only downside is that it does not have image stabilization so if you don't have steady hands and use it with the zoom blurry pics will prabably result. I would by this camera again. Had it out to North Dakota waterfowling twice last year and to South Dakota snow goose hunting and took some great photos. Go to dpreview.com for great digital camera reviews. Good luck.
Headgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:38 PM   #5
dobberdux
Senior Refuge Member

Panasonic Lumix FZ-5

Panasonic got a slow start in the digital realm, but have really come on with the LUMIX line. 12x optical zoom and an all glass Leica lens. Just got it about a month ago. Calling me an amatuer photographber is being kind and I have taken some great photos with it. Priced right...under $400, compact with some outstanding advanced features, easy to use. Unlike some others in this category, it has an image stabilizer for that powerful zoom they give you.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:19 PM   #6
got duck
Elite Refuge Member

Canon EOS 20D. Expensive but well worth every penny of it in my opinion. Have started taking some awsome pics. There is so much you can do with this monster.

Duck hunting is a way of life and thats all I got to say about that.

No matter where you go, there you are.

GR1/2HRCH Jandybean's Rocky Dawg's Daddy MH
got duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:57 PM   #7
Waders
Elite Refuge Member

Check out epinions.com
Low prices with reviews. Get at least 4 megapixel if you want to print anything.
Waders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:02 PM   #8
Downbuster
Senior Refuge Member

Kodak 7590....
Downbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:04 PM   #9
HBar
Elite Refuge Member

Really like the Nikon Coopix 3200 for good digital photos afield when you don't have the time, room or inclination to mess with a complicated camera. Recently got a Cannon Digital Rebel which is way cool but a bit complex for most field situations.

A hint: invest in some good digital photo software such as Photo Shop, etc. It will help you get the most out of your digital photos.
HBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:10 PM   #10
huntinkid
Elite Refuge Member

Kodak DX7630. Everything i want/need and then some. I'd definetly recommend it.
make up lies,
Tim Murphy
huntinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:22 PM   #11
HiMe
Elite Refuge Member

I have a Canon G5 which is a "pro-sumer" grade 5.0 mp camera. It takes magnificient pics. I also have a little Fuji Finepix 2.0 mp that takes great pictures too. If I were you, I'd start by reading as much as possible here:

http://www.dpreview.com/
HiMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:24 PM   #12
Rubberhead
Elite Refuge Member

I've got a 7.2 MP Sony DSC-P200

and a 5 MP Sony DSC-H1

Both are fairly cheap and highly rated. The H1 has a 12x zoom. The P200 is really small and takes great high resolution pictures.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:29 PM   #13
GA_LAB
Elite Refuge Member

I just got a Kodak Z740 and love it. I have to be the most digital anything illiterate person God created and that thing is simple to use. Also will take up 80 minutes of digital video, has 5.0mp, 10x zoom,and a ton more extras
Old 08-03-2005, 07:08 PM   #14
Waders
Elite Refuge Member

Rubberhead, the Sony DSC-H1 is the one I am going to get unless you tell me something bad about it
I've been camcording pheasants, waterfowl and deer mostly out of the comfort of my truck. I want to take pics of wildlife the same way and was hoping the Sony would be the way to go. I can get it for about $410 and think it is a pretty good price?
Waders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:40 PM   #15
win4win
Elite Refuge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberhead
5 MP Sony DSC-H1

Picked up this camera a couple months ago. Great camera so far....excellent zoom....image stabilization....good features and fairly simple to operate everything.

Camo, Ammo and things that go Blammo!
win4win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:45 PM   #16
Susquehanna Gauge
Elite Refuge Member

20D also

GO with the 20D... you will be amazed with the pics this camera produces.. Here are few samples from 2 nights ago..

Susquehanna Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:57 PM   #17
Rubberhead
Elite Refuge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waders
Rubberhead, the Sony DSC-H1 is the one I am going to get unless you tell me something bad about it
I've been camcording pheasants, waterfowl and deer mostly out of the comfort of my truck. I want to take pics of wildlife the same way and was hoping the Sony would be the way to go. I can get it for about $410 and think it is a pretty good price?
I love the H1. I considered the Canon S2 IS long and hard but decided on the Sony H1 because I already had the P200 - I have no regrets at all. In most situations it takes better pictures than my 7.2 Megapixel P200.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:18 PM   #18
Gobble4me
Senior Refuge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susquehanna Gauge
GO with the 20D... you will be amazed with the pics this camera produces.. Here are few samples from 2 nights ago..

Wow nice photos. Looks like someone is going some scouting
Gobble4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:48 PM   #19
NCWaterfowler
Elite Refuge Member

Canon makes some great cameras. I have an A-70, brother a G-5 and pops an S-500. Take a look at the Canons, they have a wide selection of quality cameras.

In order to find the right camera, Canon or not, I HIGHLY encourage you to check out www.cnet.com This is a FANTASTIC site that has info, reviews, pros/cons, prices, etc., etc. on digital cameras and other electronics. It would be well worth your time.

I'd second the recommendation for www.dpreview.com as this site has more detailed information as it is solely dedicated to digital cameras. Beware that the amount of detailed information can be overwhelming as the reviews goes into insane detail about the cameras.

Good luck with whatever you decide, looking forward to your pix.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:14 PM   #20
Lame-Duck
Elite Refuge Member

yentzen

I wouldn't recommend any particular camera, because they've changed so much and there are a bunch of new models out since I purchased mine. For taking out to the blind, I like a smaller pocket size camera with a bare minimum of 4 megapixels and a 4X optical zoom lense. I've had really great luck with my small Sony Cybershot, and I'd prolly stay with Sony next time, since I'm so used to the way it operates. All the other top manufactures, have really excellent cameras too. Get the features you want and be sure to get the one that seems to be the easiest to operate. I hate having to go through my manual everytime I want to use a feature that I don't regularly use, such as multiple bursts or red eye removal.

I also have a larger, Konica Minolta Dimage A-2 that I use for all my other photography. When I did my research, I found that this camera really had more of what I wanted than anything else I could find. If I were buying a camera today, I'd have to start all over again doing my homework, since things have really changed as far as models, features, and what I'd want in a camera. Here's my 2 cameras:

"I've never killed anyone, but I have read some obituary notices with great satisfaction."... Clarence Darrow

Often mistaken, but never in doubt.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

My wife and I had words, But I didn't get to use mine.

Doing nothing is not really as easy as it sounds.....you never really know when you're finished.
Lame-Duck is offline   Reply With Quote