Please Support Our Sponsors

Auto Jerk Decoy System
Auto Jerk Decoy System

www.WingSupply.com

California Department of Fish and Game - CWA
Please Support Our Sponsors

CICC Outdoor AdventuresCICC Outdoor Adventures

Aero Outdoors - Bach’s Blocks - Fishdog Outdoors - J. J. Lares Calls - North Wind Outfitters - River Valley Outfitters - Smokem Outfitters - X-site Decoys

Go Back   Refuge Forums > Flyway Report Forums > California Flyway Forum

Old 09-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
RichP1269
Senior Refuge Member

CWA SB 374 Email

Just got this email from the California Waterfowl Association in regards to SB 374:

"SB 374 would classify all semiautomatic centerfire rifles with detachable magazines as "assault weapons." People who own these rifles as of January 1, 2014, would be required to register their rifles with the state Department of Justice by January 1, 2015, and pay a fee.

Existing law defines "assault weapons" as semiautomatic rifles that have certain characteristics, such as pistol grips and military-type stocks. This bill would sweep in ALL semiautomatic centerfire rifles, including a number of legitimate sporting rifles."

My response on their FB page"

"Just got the email regarding SB 374. It's obvious from the language used that CWA doesn't consider AR platform rifles "Legitimate sporting rifles." Attitudes such as this is one of the reasons that SB 374 passed in the first place. Thank you for contributing to the demise of the 2nd Amendment in California."
Old 09-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Luigi Daniele
Elite Refuge Member

Location: in a blind in NorCal watching the specks and sprig work
It sure appears that the Buckley Rule (named after William F Buckley) applies: every organization that is not specifically right wing will eventually become left wing.

Very sad. I hope that I am mistaken.

...but if you ask me what I do, I will always answer: I hunt funghi and ducks. Lou

Forza Juventus FC/Forza gli Azzurri/Forza Ferrari F1
Deus meus et omnia
Totus Tuus
Luigi Daniele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
Farres
Senior Refuge Member

What's obvious about it?
Farres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Tommyo
Elite Refuge Member

who gets to conjure what is legitimate?

thanks for pointing that out. I recall reading that line and now realize the potential to be desensitized to this type of apologetic language.

Last edited by Tommyo; 09-14-2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: addition
Tommyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
DuckFan
Elite Refuge Member

I'm confused?

CWA is asking for a VETO and urged us to make contacts and provided a quick way to send a message direct to the Governor

Isn't that what you want?
Proud Delta Waterfowl Member
Proud DU Member

G ˛

Funny, how you seem to really ‘talk’ more about meaningful things while sitting in a duck blind with the world in front of you. Time Flies FASTER than Teal

Know, and Choose, Good

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Vegetarian - an old American Indian word meaning "Bad Hunter"

Last edited by DuckFan; 09-14-2013 at 12:30 PM.
DuckFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
dakinunit
Elite Refuge Member

??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckFan View Post
I'm confused?

CWA is asking for a VETO and urged us to make contacts and provided a quick way to send a message direct to the Governor

One thing i don't get is SB 374 and SB 396,both bills are kinda the same,at least how i read them??What am i missing???
Old 09-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
CA Birdman
Elite Refuge Member

SB396 never made it out of the Assembly. Perez never let it reach the floor for a vote. SB396 dealt with clips.

As far as not mentioning assault rifles in the veto request - while that is the reason for legislation - saying veto this as we want our AR15s to the uninformed may not be perceived as something that should be vetoed but if you frame it the way it is, that it is overtly broad and does not but make law abiding citizens criminals, then may have a better chance of getting the veto.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
dakinunit
Elite Refuge Member

??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Birdman View Post
SB396 never made it out of the Assembly. Perez never let it reach the floor for a vote. SB396 dealt with clips.

As far as not mentioning assault rifles in the veto request - while that is the reason for legislation - saying veto this as we want our AR15s to the uninformed may not be perceived as something that should be vetoed but if you frame it the way it is, that it is overtly broad and does not but make law abiding citizens criminals, then may have a better chance of getting the veto.
Kinda get it,but what i don't get,both bills talk about clips,So your deer rifle that only holds 4 rounds in the clip,SB 374 makes it illegal to use??
Old 09-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
ditchbanker
Elite Refuge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckFan View Post
I'm confused?

It appears to me Rick, that some folks don't see CWA as 'right wing' enough.
Right wing, Left wing, or somewhere between...I support CWA as fighting for the environment and for hunting rights...some folks want to take the idea of fighting for hunting rights to the extreme 'right'?

It's the "...if you're not FOR me your AGAINST me"...point of view
Democrat
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
Luigi Daniele
Elite Refuge Member

Location: in a blind in NorCal watching the specks and sprig work
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchbanker View Post
It appears to me Rick, that some folks don't see CWA as 'right wing' enough.
Right wing, Left wing, or somewhere between...I support CWA as fighting for the environment and for hunting rights...some folks want to take the idea of fighting for hunting rights to the extreme 'right'?

It's the "...if you're not FOR me your AGAINST me"...point of view
Well, as I am in that crowd , I just do not understand why they can not take a pro-gun rights, pro-hunting stance.

I'll hand it to you liberals: you never compromise (politically). Yet we conservatives are expected to compromise all the time-by liberals. And some of us are dumb enough to fall for it.

...but if you ask me what I do, I will always answer: I hunt funghi and ducks. Lou

Forza Juventus FC/Forza gli Azzurri/Forza Ferrari F1
Deus meus et omnia
Totus Tuus
Luigi Daniele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
ditchbanker
Elite Refuge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Daniele View Post
Well, as I am in that crowd , I just do not understand why they can not take a pro-gun rights, pro-hunting stance.

I'll hand it to you liberals: you never compromise (politically). Yet we conservatives are expected to compromise all the time-by liberals. And some of us are dumb enough to fall for it.

...I know most here dont believe me...but I DO take a pro-gun rights, pro-hunting stance...just not the same gun ownership stance as you may define it.
Democrat
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #12
DuckFan
Elite Refuge Member

sorry....still trying to understand.

I will admit I have not followed this particular bill.

Can someone tell me why CWA asking for a Veto to this bill is harming gun rights. Keep it simple guys...I'm old

thx