Please Support Our Sponsors

Avery OutdoorsAvery Outdoors

Wing SupplyDrake Closeouts @ Wing Supply

Dirty Rice Outfitters
Dirty Rice Outfitters

Aero Outdoors - Burbank Guide Service - Doctari Longlines Drake Waterfowl - Fallin Feathers Outfitters
GearHog.com - Sitka Gear

Go Back   Refuge Forums > Refuge Forums > The Duck Hunters Forum

Old 12-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #21
Mr.Bones
New England Forum

Have a pair of the Bushnell legend HD 10X42 in my blind bag and they are perfect for what you describe.
In addition to having pretty solid glass for that price range, they are great for waterfolwing as they are also waterproof and fog proof - Bushnell has a bullet proof gurantee that for any reason up to a year, if you don't like them - you can return them no questions asked.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bushn...h-All+Products

"Anyone who told you to be yourself couldn't have given you any worse advice.” Unknown

"Some guys just show their inadequacies alot better then most"- William Marshall
Mr.Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #22
num70
Elite Refuge Member

Agree with Bones (above).
I have a pair. They're great.

(Also cheaper at optics planet)

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell...131230150244:s

Wait for one of Optics Planet's big sales and they're pricing will be very tough to beat. Them or Bear Basin.
num70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #23
BR Gunner07
Elite Refuge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutdownolt12 View Post
I'm a Zeiss fella myself... I'm a firm believer you get what you pay for.
Copy that! I have 10x40 and love them. When it comes to optics, I played the cheap game for years. When you wait all year for hunting season and spend money on everything else, saving up for a nice pair is just part of the game.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #24
retriever
Refuge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha and Abby View Post
Swarovski... buy ONCE and they will last you for the rest of your lifetime. Or you can buy some cheapos and keep trading up.
This!!!
retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #25
KENNEDY63
Elite Refuge Member

I have owned and/or currently own binoculars made by Bushnell, Nikon, Brunton, Leica, and Swarovski.

If price is not an issue - Swarovski hands down. I beat the tar out of my gear and the Swaro's optical quality and ability to take a beating are great.

That being said, I have heard good things about the Meopta brand. Lower price point than Swarovski.

I have had my best luck with www.eurooptic.com. Owner is Alex Roy. Clientele is probably 98% hunters. Call him, give him your budget, and tell him what your desired use is. As an example, do you really want a pair of 8 x 56's hanging around your neck all day on an elk hunt? Great low light binoc, but weight/mass becomes an issue on certain hunts. Mostly long distance car spotting? 15 x 56 is great. You get the point. Last scope that I bought he talked me down from a high dollar Schmidt & Bender and got me into a Meopta scope for about half the price. Make sure that the binocs are waterproof, that they have an unconditional lifetime guarntee, and that their service department can handle repairs in a timely fashion (Alex will know that).

Good luck.

Author unknown

Last edited by KENNEDY63; 12-30-2013 at 08:55 AM.
KENNEDY63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #26
AM 1
Elite Refuge Member

Scheels dakota hunter brand 10x42 or 12x42. I had and lost a pair of monarchs and bought a pair of these. Lifetime guarantee and great optics for the money.
AM 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #27
theshotcaller
Senior Refuge Member

Mojaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastinshells View Post
scouting=leupold mojaves. I beat the crap out of those things and they keep on ticking.

long term viewing/in the car/brag to friends=Leica or Swaro

Agreed! Have had the same pair of 10X42 Mojave's for years. All around great pair of binos. They have been my go to for scouting waterfowl, deer and turkey woods.

Just got my old man a pair for Christmas!
theshotcaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #28
NeLab1

I have had great luck with my Leopold cascades I have had then for 6-7 years and use them for every thing from deer elk and waterfowl, for the money when I bought them they where the clearest I could afford.

they are a 10x42
NeLab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #29
nra4evr56
Elite Refuge Member

My 30 year old Steiners still get the job done.
nra4evr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #30
California Flyway
Elite Refuge Member

Zen Ray is easily the best glass for the money right now.
I own a pair of 8X42's I use for deer hunting. For duck hunting I bought one of their monoculars in 10X42 that fits nicely in my blind bag and they are much handier for duck hunting than my full size pair. Go to a site called the optics talk forum to see how highly those folks speak of Zen Ray compared to glass costing two and three times as much.

All angels bring terror
Rilke

Never underestimate a Field Bred Springer

I agree with Rick and go with acrylics. I like the upper-level ornithology tested, amped-up, caricature of duck's calls.

Butte City - A quaint little drinking town with a duck hunting problem.

My Springers are royalty me, just a lucky peasant.

The perfect new bird is one that arrives fat or has been here long enough to fatten up but not smart-ten up.
California Flyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #31
LSpann
Refuge Member

I have a pair of 10x50 Leica Trinovids that are never carried into a duck hunting environment. I have a pair of Vortex 8x42's that are almost as clear as the Leicas, cost 1/3 the price and I wouldn't think twice about taking them anywhere.

Lonnie Spann

Last edited by LSpann; 12-30-2013 at 11:15 PM.
LSpann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #32
bill cooksey
Elite Refuge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Flyway View Post
Zen Ray is easily the best glass for the money right now.
I own a pair of 8X42's I use for deer hunting. For duck hunting I bought one of their monoculars in 10X42 that fits nicely in my blind bag and they are much handier for duck hunting than my full size pair. Go to a site called the optics talk forum to see how highly those folks speak of Zen Ray compared to glass costing two and three times as much.
Can't say enough about them.

"My feelings for spinning wing decoys are akin to my feelings for my ex-wife. We had a lot of fun together for a short period of time, but now I wish we'd never met."

“Which way General?” the aide asked. “Either,” Forrest growled. “If one road led to Hell and the other to Mexico, I would be indifferent which to take.”
bill cooksey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #33
take'm
Senior Refuge Member

Leica 10x42. Bought a pair 10 years ago,best investment in glass that I have made,did the trade up thing over the years.....
take'm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:19 AM   #34
marsh fox
Elite Refuge Member

Swarovski are the brand i use, but you cant dismiss
Leica. And if you decide you want a glass look at optolyth they are exelent value for money.
One other budget brand banocular worth a look and i have not seen mentioned on here, are Seadler they are good binoculars at a good price.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:44 AM   #35
dakndug

If you go Vortex, don't get the diamondbacks. If you spend any time behind the glass, your eyes will pay. I bought a pair for knockarounds, and they tire the eyes! I have a pair of Leica Duovids that I use 99% of the time, they are great. Swaros and Zeiss are right there with them. You can't go wrong with any of those three. If the budget ain't good nuff for that, and you want Vortex, get the Vipers, they are good glass. Alex at Euro Optic is the guy!
If you want a product to fail, buy the Nikons.

Doug

Doing it with Drahts!
Trust that Birddog!
Nothing like a Childs Smile Behind a Full Fan!
dakndug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:03 AM   #36
jzee
Senior Refuge Member

Back in the day I bought Steiners and never looked back. I have 5 pair ranging from 15x60 down to a small pair I carry on the back of my off road bike. They get the hell beat out of them. 2 to 3,000 miles a year off road for 10 years, the lens came loose and I was looking to get a new pair, the guy behind the counter said send them back. I did and they sent a new pair of the updated model. Good glasses with great services.
jzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:11 AM   #37
MAKAIRA
Elite Refuge Member

Check out camera landI am running the Brunton Epochs and for the $600-$750 price range are nice but if big game hunting the Swaroski are better.

CWA LIFE MEMBER
NRA LIFE MEMBER

TEAM STINKY DUCK
MAKAIRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #38
Greenheadkiller

Have narrowed it down to 10x42s or 12x42s. I am just wondering if I will be able to focus the 12 magnification from a boat? Anybody use 12x pair for scouting from a boat?
Greenheadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #39
callinfowl
Elite Refuge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenheadkiller View Post
Have narrowed it down to 10x42s or 12x42s. I am just wondering if I will be able to focus the 12 magnification from a boat? Anybody use 12x pair for scouting from a boat?
Not without puking !
Heck even the 10's are going to be a pain in the ass.
callinfowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #40
Coldfronts
Senior Refuge Member

Don't get me started with Monarch by Nikon or the Bushnells. Save your money and buy something worth what you are spending. Both Bushnell and Nikon have TERRIBLE customer service, TERRIBLE.

Go with Vortex, lifetime unconditional guarantee!

I have not spent the money on Leica or Zeiss or any of the other high brand glass.
Coldfronts is offline   Reply With Quote