Aero Outdoors - Burbank Guide Service - DOA Decoys -
SilloSocks Windsock Decoys
Refuge Forums  

Go Back   Refuge Forums > Refuge Forums > Goose Hunting Forum

Old 02-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
easternshorerednek
Elite Refuge Member

Opinion on Decoy Spread FFDs vs RG Pro Series II

I am am currently using 9 dozen FFDs. I have done well with FFDs over the last several seasons, however this passed season I really noticed how much work it is setting up and taking down the spread as well as bagging the decoys in 6 slot bags. Also I would like to do away with my decoy trailer. I am considering selling my spread of FFDs and purchasing Real Geese Pro Series II decoys. I have read much discussion on here about these decoys vs other decoys and it seems like the general response is that the Real Geese decoys perform as well or maybe even better. Are the Pro Series II decoys as effective as FFDs. Are their any downfalls besides if the ground freezes up? Is their a need to mix full bodies in with a spread of these decoys? Do they shine? Is it worth flocking the heads and tails?
easternshorerednek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #2
goosenazi
Elite Refuge Member

Real Geese will get you plenty of birds if you don't foxtrot everything up. Maglites are all you need. No flocking is necessary.

Put a mirror on a stick and tell your hunting buddies to stick it in the ground where it won't reflect a glare back to an incoming bird. If they fail, kick them in the nuts. Either they will end up setting decoys right or you will hunt alone. You win either way. If you keep retards from procreating, we all win and I will buy you more steel toed boots and a beer for keeping my taxes down by keeping useless people from having useless offspring.

Last edited by goosenazi; 02-20-2014 at 09:07 PM.
goosenazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
duckman77
Senior Refuge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosenazi View Post
Real Geese will get you plenty of birds if you foxtrot everything up. Maglites are all you need. No flocking is necessary.

Put a mirror on a stick and tell your hunting buddies to stick it in the ground where it won't reflect a glare back to an incoming bird. If they fail, kick them in the nuts. Either they will end up setting decoys right or you will hunt alone. You win either way. If you keep retards from procreating, we all win and I will buy you more steel toed boots and a beer for keeping my taxes down by keeping useless people from having useless offspring.
duckman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
ksgoosekilr
Elite Refuge Member

I went from 5.5 dz FFDs to 7 dz RG IIs this year. Did well with the Real Geese but Im going back to a spread of FFDs
ksgoosekilr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
DrakeStar
Elite Refuge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternshorerednek View Post
I am am currently using 9 dozen FFDs. I have done well with FFDs over the last several seasons, however this passed season I really noticed how much work it is setting up and taking down the spread as well as bagging the decoys in 6 slot bags. Also I would like to do away with my decoy trailer. I am considering selling my spread of FFDs and purchasing Real Geese Pro Series II decoys. I have read much discussion on here about these decoys vs other decoys and it seems like the general response is that the Real Geese decoys perform as well or maybe even better. Are the Pro Series II decoys as effective as FFDs. Are their any downfalls besides if the ground freezes up? Is their a need to mix full bodies in with a spread of these decoys? Do they shine? Is it worth flocking the heads and tails?
I ran nothing but a mixed RG spread this season,did not miss the bagging and all of the extra work of the full body spread at all.From mid season right into late season with frozen ground no trouble with a slide punch hammer,setup and take down a breeze compared to seasons past.
In the process of selling all of my full bodies.
DrakeStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
KY duck Junkie
Senior Refuge Member

I have real geese and big feet hunt with boys that bag averys. I like big feet piled loose in the trailer. Real geese work great, but everyone has a favorite.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:47 AM   #7
drahthaarducker
Elite Refuge Member

I ran 62 sets of V-boards , some with RG II.

The only problem I had was the geese often finished to B&W silo's

In dog beers I've only had one!
drahthaarducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
goose_caller
Elite Refuge Member

Went from 13 dozen FFD's for the past 7 seasons to 20 dozen Real Geese ProII and had the best dam season in a while......adding another 6 dozen next year.
goose_caller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
negooseman
Senior Refuge Member

IMO, if you're going with silhouettes, you need more decoys. If you are dealing with frozen ground, you might as well buy V-boards too.
negooseman is offline   Reply With Quote