Shooting and Reloading Forum Sponsors

10 Gauge Reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Wapati701, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Wapati701

Wapati701 New Member

Hello guys finally registered to the site but have been reading your posts for some time now. My brother and I finally came to the agreement to give up on our SBE's and go with the Browning 10 lite. My dad has had the SP-10 since 92 when I bought it for him when I was in the army. Everyone who has used that gun has hammered geese and there has to be more happening than just velocity when hitting big geese. He has cases of old slow steel and he crushes stuff with authority compared to our fast steel 3.5". I also bought 800 Remington hulls and a PW reloaded is on the way. I'm very experienced rifle reloader and gave up shotgun reloading when steel came out. Want to try see if we can do some custom loads and try to beat the factory offerings. I'll end it here I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions, thanks!

2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

You'll find a NEW World out there reloading for the 10 ga as compared to store-bought ammo . With only needing 2 shot sizes ( one for Ducks , the other for
    Geese ) in the 1500 fps range , You have made a wise choice.....ditching the Click , along with most of the recoil !

3. Wapati701

Wapati701 New Member

We've always complained why the ammo companies never loaded it to its potential as the 3.5" 12 so we are treating these 10 Gauge loads just like our big game bullets. With modern 10 gauge firearms why can't you get away with the pressures like the 3.5" 12? I understand someone putting them in an old gun it's kinda like the 450 marlin coming out when the guys shooting those marlins already had their reloads hotter with their 45-70s? Think I'm going with the terror choke been a big supporter of pattern master but it seems like most you 10 gauge guys rave about the terrors

4. Wapati701

Wapati701 New Member

Guess I'm leaning towards heaviest payload in about that 1500-1600 range?

5. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

Wads are you most important decision. I have used the Ballistic products MM1035 for years. It is gone. Switched to the TPS1035 also from BP this year. But I am running unpressured tested loads in them. Backed off the old MM series wad powder charge a few grains. 1 3/8oz or 1 1/2oz loads are working fine.

6. Wapati701

Wapati701 New Member

Both RSI and BP are close to me, I thought I read that people were getting better velocities out of the RSI wads? What about steel shot manufacturers is there one better than the other or just go for best price? I will mainly hunt the giant honkers with this gun so planning on BBB, T, TT, or F shot will the terror choke pattern those well? I see you guys shoot a lot smaller shot than what we usually use for the big geese here in ND?

7. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

Stick with 85 to 92 BBB. While 80 T loads are ok on Westerns the BBB loads work enough better to go with them first.

8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Guess my question would be why is he buying a PW press for loading steel when every press on the market you still have to measure everything out by hand???

9. skywatcher1

skywatcher1 Elite Refuge Member

10. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

If you remember I'm the guy that spent the money to buy a 10gauge Steelmaster press, which are specifically designed supposedly to load steel shot and then found out anything over #3 steel won't drop. The PW presses from what I've heard are basically the same way, none of them will drop very large steel shot.