12 Volt Ecaller Battery and charger thoughts

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by canpoint, Dec 11, 2016.

1. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

What have you guys used and sources for batteries for your e-caller that requires 12 volt batteries (goosegetter, snow machine) and a charger for those batteries.

THanks

2. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

I use a Werker WKA12-12F2. It's about the size of 4 Mojo batteries. Fits right in the Goosegetter box and will run it for about 2 days. I usually put it on a trickle charger each nite. My last one lasted 3 seasons. I've also had Duracell batteries of the same size with good results. You can use the smaller version, about the size of 2 Mojo batteries, also. However, they only last 1 solid day before needing a charge. Bought mine from Batteries Plus, for about $50, cause they are close. You can probably get them online much cheaper.

3. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Either one 12 amp hour or two 8 amp hour SLA batteries and a 1-2 amp charger.

Get you batteries online at Battery Sharks or similar. Batteries Plus is rather expensive.

4. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

marine battery[ very heavy] out of the boats runs 8 callers 30 bird flyri. 4 /4 bird flyris. all week long .

5. theduckguru

You must really like unrolling, winding, storing and tripping over cords.

6. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

Guys its very simple. Each piece of equipment you have in the field will draw/use a certain amount of amps. You amp draw will be less than the fuse that came with the motor, radio, flapper and so on.

For example, if a rotary uses 3 amps per hour and your battery is a 10 amp/hr battery it will run the battery for a little more than 3 hours if the battery is fully charged

7. theduckguru

You are kinda correct, except cold temps will reduce that value and running the battery down really low reduces battery life.

8. KID CREOLE

No, I am absolutely correct. A battery is a reservoir, how its drained is the unknown variable. Most guys run some type of extension cord, the wire gauge, length of wire and the quality of the connections have an affect. Poor connections and long wire runs create resistance.

Most guys would be better off running 6V Golf cart batteries than 12Vs

Making sure the battery is fully charged is essential to verify your actual run time

9. theduckguru

"Full" discharge for a 12V lead-acid battery is 10V. When fully charged, a 12V battery will measure over 13.2V at the terminal. When the battery shows 10V at the terminal with no load, the manufacturer deems the battery fully discharged. Frequent full discharges damage the battery, causing the lead plates to sulfate. If you have a 7 amp-hour battery and drain it at the recommended 1/20 x C until the battery is at or less than 10V, you will damage the battery, and it will no longer charge and deliver its rated capacity."

You might want to,look at the effects of temp on battery capacity below too.
    0C is 32F.

http://corrosion-doctors.org/Batteries/high-disch-temp.htm

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  10. KID CREOLE

You are talking about little batteries that are slightly bigger than a Mojo battery, Deep Cycle and Marine batteries are different animal altogether

I don't know anyone who carries a volt meter to measure their batteries in the field, most guys run them until the amps left in the battery aren't enough to power their equipment

I have run down Grp 27 Deep Cells to near nothing, recharged them and kept using them for years, guess I got lucky, lol