Any sausage makers?

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by gdluck, Jan 5, 2017.

1. gdluck

gdluck Elite Refuge Member

I recently started making sausage as a way to consume all the snow geese. There was no way in Haiti I could eat it all by just eating breasts and I had good suspicion that all the people that wanted the meat to which I gave never ate it. I will not have the meat wasted.

So to get more people to help me eat it I started making ground snack sticks and fresh sausage. I also started corning the clean/no to little shot Canada breasts, then on to Pastrami. I've got the Pastrami technique down so well now that I rarely give that away.... its just too good. People that would normally not touch goose meat beg me to have it. It is now a mandatory appetizer for thanksgiving and xmas celebrations. I am still learning on sausage and want to try drying some but the temp and humidity controlled environment will be a challenge.

I was amazed that some of the simple things make a HUGE difference in product quality.

Anybody else making sausage and want to share some spice recipie? I am really in need of a breakfast sausage reciepe that is similar to BOB EVANS.

2. JBRUNO4590

JBRUNO4590 Elite Refuge Member

I make sausage out of our snow geese too, at least when we go. This year is out. But, so far I have made Spicy Cajun sausage, Polish Sausage, brats, snack sticks, summer sausage, to name a few. Haven't tried a breakfast sausage for it yet. Lots of Pepper & sage and I thingk you'd be on the right track..

3. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Refuge Member

I started making breakfast sausage out of snows and canadas last year. I haven't quite figured it out yet. I've been mixing 55-60% goose to 40-45% pork butt. I've been using Leggs seasoning and I'm not a fan. Not enough spice. I think I'm going to switch it up to a different seasoning and try a 50-50 mix of goose and pork next time. The sausage I've made is decent, but I know it can be much better. If anybody else has some tips please share.

4. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

Man, I don't how they made it, but I had some goose breakfast sausage from some fellows in northern IN before a hunt and gentlemen (& ladies) it was the bomb!!!! :tu

5. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

I have made a lot of sausage over the past years using goose/duck. Since they are pretty strong tasting I always add 50/50 with pork or beef. What I have found is that making fresh sausages just doesn't cover the strong taste. Breakfast sausage,brats,Italian all can still taste the goose. About the only seasoning that works is pepperoni sticks and ground jerky.

However......smoking covers it up. So I only use goose/pork to make.....German,Polish, country, summer sausage, hot dogs, salami, etc. If you like smoked breakfast or smoked brats.....try smoking them. Of course you need to stuff to smoke. Never tried liquid smoke to bulk sausage.......might try that.

Just in case you don't have a smoker......I have gotten away from smoking by using powdered smoke from Hi-Mountain. Stuff and cookthe sausage in the oven instead of a smoker. 1 tsp per pound and it tastes the same every time. No guesswork as to how long to smoke it.

Just be sure to add cure #1. 1 tsp per 5 lbs meat. I also add 1 cup of powdered milk and 1 cup ice water for 5 lbs of meat to act as a binder and also to keep it juicy.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    ArmChair Biologist likes this.
  6. Patodor

Patodor New Member

I've never used commercial binders, mostly because I didn't want to put all that stuff in the mix. Just dealt with grainy sausage. Haven't tried powdered milk before, though. Is there any noticeable taste that needs to be offset with additional seasoning?

7. Blake C

Blake C Refuge Member

Made my 1st batch of snow goose summer sausage yesterday, so you're light years ahead as far as experience goes but.....my sausage turned out pretty dang good. 50/50 snow goose with pork trimmings (still a bit of meat on it), Hi Mountain Summer Sausage Kit, grind once thru medium coarse, mixed in seasonings (Hi Mountain + crushed red pepper, additional S/P and garlic, once more thru grinder and stuffed, ~6hrs with hickory and apple chips...BAM!! I can't really take credit though, here is a screenshot from this forum. I combined that with a couple other recipes and that's all she wrote. Asking for your infamous Pastrami recipe seems blasphemous but....if you PM'd/posted it :bow

Screenshot_20170305-174135.png IMG_20170306_124221.jpg IMG_20170305_123133.jpg IMG_20170305_145152.jpg IMG_20170307_170757.jpg

8. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

That looks very good. I add mustard seeds to it so I can tell SS from salami.Salami is basically Smoke, garlic, and pepper corns.

I always add powdered milk to all of my sausages.......1 cup for 5 lbs of sausage.

Probably the most important thing in making sausage is to keep the smoker or oven at no more than 175 degrees so the fat doesn't render out.

My family really likes the tangy taste of Summer Sausage.To get that you have to add a fermenter. I don't know of any SS seasoning that includes that. So instead of the regular powdered milk, I add 1 cup of powdered buttermilk for 5 lbs. You can also add encapsulated citric acid.

I tried that and it was to much tang. I prefer the buttermilk. Then put it in the fridge for 2 days to let it ferment and then smoke it. If you like that tangy taste, next time try adding the buttermilk to your Hi Mountain seasoning mix. It gives you a different taste to compare.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    Blake C likes this.
  9. bcrisco

bcrisco Refuge Member

Made some a year or so ago using LEM trail bologna seasoning mix. Everything in a kit (seasoning, cure, casings)
    Went 50/50 with the pork trimmings and turned out well. Had a nice subtle bite to it with the seasonings. Needing to make some more here soon. Going to add a little dehydrated jalapeno to part of the next batch

Blake C likes this.
  10. Blake C

Blake C Refuge Member

That sounds pretty awesome. I might steal that :)

bcrisco likes this.