Biblical money code?

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by sdkidaho, Jul 15, 2013.

1. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Moderator

Is there really a biblical money code?

http://www.moneynews.com/MKTNews/Fi...513894/?promo_code=141AD-1&utm_source=taboola

I guess I can't say that I would be surprised to find a "how-to" for being financially sound within the scriptures.

I haven't watched his video yet, but I'm hoping it has something that includes "work hard" in it. :)

2. grantidaho

grantidaho Elite Refuge Member

The Bible certaily has a 'Code of Conduct' in it or ALL aspects of life. That would include money and finances. But not a secret code like the Da Vinci Code or some mystery religion. The Bible even talks out again mystery religions that only give 'sacred' knowledge to their elect.

It seems funny that some would look to the Bible to become rich with money and ignore the central mesage of the New Testament that one is already rich in God's Grace.

3. rebelp74

rebelp74 Senior Refuge Member

Christ was pretty much against money. He saw how it corrupted the jewish people and their faith. Matthew 6:24-"No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."
    Also, I'm pretty sure based on reading the Bible that Christ would be pretty much considered a hobo/drifter/bum in today's world based on how He lived His life.

4. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

in a blind in NorCal watching the specks and sprig
    This is a common misconception. He worked as a carpenter until the last 3 years (or so) of His life. He wouldn't have been considered a bum by the Jewish society of His day, which held preach-ers in high esteem. "The laborer is worth his wage".

5. grantidaho

grantidaho Elite Refuge Member

A problem arises when one makes money the most important thing in their life.

There is a difference between desiring to get your finances under control and wanting to get rich with money.

6. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

exactly

we probably all know that one person who has tremendous amounts of money, who doesnt help others in need, who is afraid to spend a dollar due to losing it.

how many has died with big bank accounts and then someone else inherits it?

you cant take it with you

7. MissedAgain

MissedAgain Elite Refuge Member

There is nothing wrong with obtaining wealth, it is what you do with it.

Let's pretend the parable of the talents is about money - those who were given money were expected to use it wisely. They were rewarded for multiplying their wealth. I think the guy who buried it was throw into the darkness because if his attitude more than what he did with the money.

Job was rich, Abraham was rich, David & Solomon were rich....

To say that Christ thought poorly of money is not supported in the Word. In real life, the amount of money you have is a direct correlation to what you "feel" about money. If you feel it is bad - you don't have any. If you feel you can help the masses if you had a lot, chances are that you will get a lot. You can accumulate wealth and love God & man.

Christ was saddened by people's attitudes. The parable with the guy who stored everything up in his barn and sought to remove himself from society showed a bad attitude.

That attitude carries over into Christianity. Christians hang with Christians and Jews hang with Jews, etc. Who did Christ hang with? Everyone, especially the sinners - he even was called a glutton and a drunkard. Kinda funny how we say we follow Him but tend to tread where it is easiest for us.

8. duck01

duck01 Senior Refuge Member

Great post! Money is not the issue, the love of money is.

"Are we good stewards with our money?" is a question we should all be asking ourselves........

9. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator

The Biblical money code?

Stay out of debt
    Work
    Take the Sabbath off to rest
    Give generously
    Keep an emergency fund
    Do not covet
    Do not steal
    Live within your means
    Help others when they are in need
    Teach this to your children

10. Buffalo Howler

Buffalo Howler Senior Refuge Member

I would say that money is the biggest blinder to God's word. It causes one to hold on to your worldly possessions. It promotes the "fear" other that the fear of God which is the only fear you should have. Money=posessions. Jesus said to follow me do not bring anything with you. John told us that we are to not love the things of this world. Do not fool yourself into thinking money is an asset to serving God.
    On a side note try to find the meaning of $. ?