Bullet type

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Brad's Birds, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Any recommendations on type of bullet to use in order to minimize pelt damage on coyotes? I've been using poly-tipped, "varmint tip", v-max, etc... 55 grain in my .223 which are deadly accurate, but anything less than 100 yards tears them apart, especially if any bones are hit. I have some soft point 55 and 60 grain that I haven't used and am wondering if they are less destructive. Don't really want to use fmj although it's probably the least damaging to pelts.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Anything with a tip is going to expand, and blow out the back side. Anything with an advertised 'controlled expansion' type tip is going to act like FMJ in small targets.
    FMJ for the win, if you are talking about saving the pelt.

3. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

I have had terrific luck with Speer .52 gr. hollow points. I have been shooting stuff for 45 years, and they work best for me. I have shot a bunch of coyotes at 20-30 yards, and a couple way out yonder in the mid 300 yard range. I have never had a bullet blow through, ever. Bones or not. Flat top hollow point delivers the hit like it's supposed to.

4. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

Try a lighter vmax or slow down the fps your useing now. Try 2800 fps on your 55 gr. vmax.

5. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Would there be any meaningful change in POI from the 55 gr. I'm sighted in at now vs 45 gr.? I'm dead center at 50 yds, 1"+ high at 100yds, and almost dead on again at 200.

6. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

It will shot some lower.

7. Alpha Dogg

Alpha Dogg New Member

Get the fragmenting rounds. Never had an exit hole.

8. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

I've shot many coyotes with a 53 gr Sierra match hollow point out of a 22-250. Tried many different bullets and found this to one to perform the best at the wide variety of ranges and angles experienced in shooting coyotes.