CWA SB 374 Email

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by RichP1269, Sep 13, 2013.

1. RichP1269

RichP1269 Senior Refuge Member

Just got this email from the California Waterfowl Association in regards to SB 374:

"SB 374 would classify all semiautomatic centerfire rifles with detachable magazines as "assault weapons." People who own these rifles as of January 1, 2014, would be required to register their rifles with the state Department of Justice by January 1, 2015, and pay a fee.

Existing law defines "assault weapons" as semiautomatic rifles that have certain characteristics, such as pistol grips and military-type stocks. This bill would sweep in ALL semiautomatic centerfire rifles, including a number of legitimate sporting rifles."

My response on their FB page"

"Just got the email regarding SB 374. It's obvious from the language used that CWA doesn't consider AR platform rifles "Legitimate sporting rifles." Attitudes such as this is one of the reasons that SB 374 passed in the first place. Thank you for contributing to the demise of the 2nd Amendment in California."

2. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

in a blind in NorCal watching the specks and sprig
    It sure appears that the Buckley Rule (named after William F Buckley) applies: every organization that is not specifically right wing will eventually become left wing.

Very sad. I hope that I am mistaken.

3. Farres

Farres Senior Refuge Member

What's obvious about it?

4. Tommyo

Tommyo Elite Refuge Member

thanks for pointing that out. I recall reading that line and now realize the potential to be desensitized to this type of apologetic language.

5. DuckFan

DuckFan Elite Refuge Member

I'm confused?

CWA is asking for a VETO and urged us to make contacts and provided a quick way to send a message direct to the Governor

Isn't that what you want?

6. dakinunit

dakinunit Elite Refuge Member

One thing i don't get is SB 374 and SB 396,both bills are kinda the same,at least how i read them??What am i missing???

7. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

SB396 never made it out of the Assembly. Perez never let it reach the floor for a vote. SB396 dealt with clips.

As far as not mentioning assault rifles in the veto request - while that is the reason for legislation - saying veto this as we want our AR15s to the uninformed may not be perceived as something that should be vetoed but if you frame it the way it is, that it is overtly broad and does not but make law abiding citizens criminals, then may have a better chance of getting the veto.

8. dakinunit

dakinunit Elite Refuge Member

Kinda get it,but what i don't get,both bills talk about clips,So your deer rifle that only holds 4 rounds in the clip,SB 374 makes it illegal to use??

9. ditchbanker

ditchbanker Elite Refuge Member

It appears to me Rick, that some folks don't see CWA as 'right wing' enough.
    Right wing, Left wing, or somewhere between...I support CWA as fighting for the environment and for hunting rights...some folks want to take the idea of fighting for hunting rights to the extreme 'right'?

It's the "...if you're not FOR me your AGAINST me"...point of view

10. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

in a blind in NorCal watching the specks and sprig
    Well, as I am in that crowd :D , I just do not understand why they can not take a pro-gun rights, pro-hunting stance.

I'll hand it to you liberals: you never compromise (politically). Yet we conservatives are expected to compromise all the time-by liberals. And some of us are dumb enough to fall for it.