Declining population of sea ducks finally gets some policy help

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by EliteLIOutfitter, Jan 1, 2017.

1. quackaholic

quackaholic Senior Refuge Member

Last year we had a sizable amount of scoters using one of East Tennessee lakes.

2. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

this is what happened to a popular old squaw spot in CT.... word spread that there were lots of birds and they decoyed easy...and soon you would see 7 or 8 rigs gunning the squaws.. and by the end of the day you would see a dozen seagulls feeding on dead old squaw...... one winged old squaw could take 20 minutes to finally bring to hand.. and a lot of shots.... I know many guys just didn't even make an attempt... I understand spending 20 minutes and after not seeing the bird for 5 minutes or so..its a lost cause.... but you know some boats didn't even lift an anchor. and not soon after that CT dropped their limit from 7 to 4........( although I also suspect the bogus winter bird counts helped.....) in aforementioned town... you could NOT see 300 old squaw...so when the winter count , counted 20 old squaw.... you barfed up your breakfast!!!most days the town would hold 1000 birds ........politics...... its ruins most things it gets involved with