duck calling help

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by dgp1717, Dec 22, 2016.

1. dgp1717

dgp1717 New Member

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum and really want to get better at duck calling. I've practiced on and off for a year and so and I can't get better. I'm not the worst you'll ever hear but I'm not good--and I want to be good.

I've watched every YouTube video and read lots of articles, but my pitch, tone, etc. doesn't improve, even when I try different things. I'm fairly positive I blow hot air; I anchor my teeth and cut notes with the back of my tongue; I don't grunt or add voice, except sometimes my throat will burst at the beginning of notes. I don't know if that's a bad habit, but it seems to help me make a better sound than when I don't do it.

I feel like my call sounds "squealy", and I can't really change the pitch of the notes. If anyone is willing to help me, please PM me and I'll send a sound file.

Thanks.

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Has someone else run the call you're using (not just one like it) to your satisfaction? If not, I'd be looking for a good caller to give it a go.

3. dgp1717

dgp1717 New Member

THanks for the reply Rick. Yes sir--a good friend of mine who is an excellent caller has blown it numerous times. He says it's "the best short barrel he's ever blown"--whatever that means. He can tell differences between different makes of the same model. My ear isn't not that good. Anyways, it's certainly not the call.

4. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Practice practice and more practice
    Blow it going to work in the car take it everywhere with you. Try diffrent notes hail ,comeback, chuckle quacks etc

5. DuckNoobie

DuckNoobie Senior Refuge Member

Also, maybe making a video would help. It would give us a baseline.

6. dukkalr

dukkalr Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

open your throat,,,,, say 'hut',,,, huuut huut huut hut hut hut ,,start by saying it a little deeper than normal talking voice,,, it will lighten up later when you learn to blow it getter,, this will change the cut of each note from back of tongue to front tip, should stop the constant 'squealy' of the call,,,, gotta learn to walk before ya learn to run

goosehunter64 likes this.
  7. BTK

BTK New Member

One thing that really helped me was picking up a call system DVD and learning the steps 1 by 1. I would highly recommend the Carlson method. He has a DVD "Pro Duck Calling" and a CD "Duck Calling A-Z" (they are a bit cheesy looking but the principles are effective). Even though it is not my call of choice now, I learned on their Volo-Choke call while following their DVD. It takes some time and there is some frustration, but things eventually start to click. Their Volo-Choke call is also a great call to learn on. I have since moved on from it, but it is a very capable call and a great learning tool.

http://www.carlsoncalls.com/store/?category=DVDs+&+CDs

8. BTK

BTK New Member

The one thing that I would like to add to this is that this system (or probably many of the others) will help you to practice with purpose. You have something that you are trying to accomplish each time you pick up the call.

9. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist New Member

You should add voice inflection when you call. If you don't add voice/throat to it the tone doesn't sound right. People like to say hut or quit into the call. The closest thing I do is say gooot deep from my belly.

What kind of call do you use? Some calls are much more difficult to blow then others. If you blow a single read maybe you should go to a double. Double reeds are much easier to blow. I have a single reed competition call on my lanyard and a Buck Gardner double nasty that costs thirty bucks. That buck Gardner call is super easy to blow and when I use it allot it takes me a minute to get used to the single reed again. The single reed sounds great, and I can blow it well, but the cheaper double reed is much easier and I call in just as many ducks with it.

Honestly, you just need to practice more. I've never met someone who's blown a call for only a year and they're good at it. It takes a minimum of a couple years normally. I've blown a duck call for 19 years and I'm only 30. It takes allot of practice to get the tone and proper cadence right. If you could post a video of yourself calling guys could give you more specific advice.

10. dgp1717

dgp1717 New Member

Sorry guys- Christmas has had me tied up. Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to post a video when I get home in an hour or so. Also, I blow an RNT Short Barrell and Hobo Prime Meat.