Great to be hunting again...

Discussion in 'Member Intros, Announcements, Refuge Gang Events' started by bigcans, Dec 12, 2016.

1. bigcans

bigcans New Member

It's been a while for me. Was gone in So. Oregon, helping to take care of my dad because he gave me the best duck hunting of my life for 37 yrs. This is my first season back to hunting ducks and geese after being gone from WA 3 yrs. Dad is doing well living with his brother and I need to take care of me again. I appreciate the knowledge I find on the threads and at 59, i'm getting in much better shape hauling my decoys on my game cart but decided to walk to the blind this morning with no decoys in 5" of snow and a 30 mph North wind. Played ball 4 yrs of college and you just have to grind it out....Grind....walk, hopefully No sweat! I take about 8 short rests hauling my stuff to where i need to go but there's nothing like setting up for geese and ducks. Fired 3 shots and stayed out only an hour. Had things to do in town. Never in a thousands years would I have thought I would be walking 900 yds into a wind like I did this morning. On 3 hrs sleep I don't know what got into me but I didn't hunt all weekend so I guess I had to go out to see what it would be like. heard some shooting so that's good. wish I could have stayed out but had things to do dang it.

"who needs a reason it's duck season"

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I am 57 and currently overweight, but I exercise. I try to walk 4km in the morning and 3.5km in the evening every day with the dogs. Lost about 40 lbs, but the main benefit is in endurance and whatever level of fitness a fat guy can attain. A couple of my hunts this year were walk in over a mile, pulling or carrying everything needed for the day. I certainly stopped a few times on the way, but had no problem (with my waders on) walking the distance and dragging the birds and equipment all out when I was done. I paddled my kayak several times over 2 miles each way into a couple of spots, and had another with a portage and slogging through floating bog. My knees will remind me I am 57 every morning. It is -30 with the windchill right now, and I'm having a coffee while I am getting ready to take the dogs out on the dike to have a run(the dogs, not me...I walk). I haven't checked in a week or so, but my guess is the birds have finally left...:dv. They did hang around here until our season closed (Nov 30th) for the first time since I have lived here (over 25 years). Hopefully it will be a trend.

3. bigcans

bigcans New Member

Hadn't checked yur weather but I would think bye bye black bird, it's cold...in Manitoba. I have a movie that was shot in Manitoba. title is "New in Town" check it out. shot in -40 below. no kidding. they broke camera lenses and all....pretty good movie. with the arctic AK freeze that has blanketed the entire upper US, the birds are south in good numbers. CA, is still waiting for their migration as of last reports on DU with their biologists. Send us some black ducks! yeah right! Merry Christmas

4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Temp right now is -24C and the wind is steady at 36 kph and gusting to 60 kph, so that puts the wind child at......-40C or if you prefer -40 F. (-40 is the only point where C and F are identical).

Freaking cold, trust me. No ducks for at least 9 days now. I am not walking the dogs tonight, but I'll take them in the morning. Just have to dress for it.

5. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Welcome aboard!

6. Lame-Duck

Lame-Duck Elite Refuge Member

Glad to have you on the Forums, and it's good to hear that you're able to get back to hunting again.