Help blowing lares (audiofile)

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Quakbangsplash, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Quakbangsplash

Quakbangsplash Refuge Member

I have been trying to learn to call for over a year and have used Rnt CDs, Carlson cd, etc. I don't have access to any good duck callers locally. I would appreciate any feedback/advice/criticism. I am trying to learn how to run a lares hybrid. I have a 1.370 or 1.375 reed in there as it sounds best to my ear. This recording is taken inside a small room but should give an idea. My calling sounds nowhere near what some of you lares guys can do and I would really appreciate any feedback. I am trying to use "clean / hot air and I am keeping tongue anchored behind bottom teeth, cutting notes off with back of my tongue. If anyone wants to give lessons via FaceTime etc I would gladly pay. I know these calls are unique and probably not best to learn on but they sound just like a duck ( my opinion) in the hands of you guys that can run them. Be gentle haha:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Kris Verness

Kris Verness Senior Refuge Member

Sounds to me like your hand is too far down on the insert (exhaust end of the call). Could be the recording equipment , but it sounds like your choking off the call with your hand. If you don't mind sending me your # in a pm, I will try to help.

3. Quakbangsplash

Sent. Much appreciated.

4. drk9988

drk9988 Senior Refuge Member

In all my Lares I like a 1.315 no dog ears T-1 width reed.. To me it sounds like it is taking too much air. Sounds flat or too much rasp..I would say try a shorter reed.

5. ducknutz

ducknutz Senior Refuge Member

Agreed that it sounds flat, in places. Other parts sound ok. Try a shorter reed and maybe hand placement as mentioned above. I run a 1.340 in mine as the longer reeds sounded more like yours and took more air. That said, you sound better than some and can kill birds like it is. Keep practicing and it will happen. :tu

6. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

First off - not a big deal but what Lares call model do you have. My guess an A-5 or Hybrid. Put some air through that call, blow air out from the diaphragm. You are tooting into the call. With a 1.37 you can't overblow that call and reed length easily. That or switch down to 1.335 to 1.345, dog ears make it raspier no ears makes it run clearer.

7. NCBADGES

NCBADGES North / South Carolina Flyway Moderator Moderator

Look into the barrel...put the tone board on top with the reed on the bottom.

ncb

8. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

That is also how I run mine but some really good callers run it the other way.

9. Quakbangsplash

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll try more air first and then maybe try shorter reeds. The call is a lares hybrid with 1.370 dog eared reed. I kept messing with all the different sizes but the longer reeds sounded better to my ear ( not saying much). I usually try to get tone board on top as I had read that a few times on here. Here is a video that may help further.

10. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

You need to donkey punch each note........learn to hammer on it first.
    Once you can hammer on it and get the right sound , then you can mess with easing up on the call and cadences.
    Don't even worry about stringing notes together until you get the pressure dialed in first.

shotgunslb likes this.