Shooting and Reloading Forum Sponsors

Is their such a thing as good camo tape?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by leftyhunter, Jan 7, 2017.

1. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Senior Refuge Member

I just bought two new black synthetic Franchi Affinitys. Years ago I bought camo tape for my then Stoger 2000 but it didn't stay on well. I am reluctant to spray paint my Franchis should I want to resell them at some point. Has any one had sucess with a particular brand of camo tape?
    Thanks
    Leftyhunter

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I am a fan of the Mossy Oak wraps. I did both my Baikals and my Benelli Super Nova in it.
    http://www.mossyoakgraphics.com/shotgun-wrap-mossy-oak-camo-gun-skin

It is fairly thin, but also tougher than a dip job. A 'little' heat and it molds in very well. Even to the point you can see the checkering. I kept it on for 2 years (and it is still on the Nova) It IS tape, and ANY tape will peel. I ended up going with an epoxy spray paint, since my hunting guns are just that, hunting guns, and I am not worried about re-sale.

If you want a tape finish, I recommend the Mossy Oak.

bill cooksey, Roy G. and leftyhunter like this.
  3. cam

cam Elite Refuge Member

mossy oak got it on 2 guns works and cheap

leftyhunter likes this.
  4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I have two partial rolls of Duck Tape (Duck brand) in a camo pattern, but I just looked on their website and apparently they don't make it in a useful camo pattern anymore.

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Rustoleum paint is removed easy enough with acetone. The wraps that Native speaks of have intrigued me though (how easily do those wraps come off, and what toll does it take on the finish of the gun Native?).

I got tired of the expensive dipping coming off, and I actually like the fact that I can very easily change colors (i.e. brown/tan for duck hunting, and green for turkeys). I also like that the paint has a dull finish, as opposed to the shiny finishes of most dipping jobs.

If I ever find a plastic gun I fall in love with for duck hunting, I probably try Cerekote. Dull finish, durable, and avoids rust...

leftyhunter likes this.
  6. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Gorilla tape has some good camo tape, but you don't want that for your gun. As mentioned, Mossyoakgraphics is probably good. For 8 years or so I've used Camoclad, which is very similar if not the exact same stuff:
    http://camoclad.com/

I use it on my shotguns, my duckcalls, and my outboards.

upload_2017-1-7_21-43-39.png

bill cooksey likes this.
  7. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

I just took the camoclad off my Browning Citori after it had been on there over 8 years. No problem, I used a hair dryer to warm it up, and there was no residue or evidence of it having been on there.

leftyhunter and Squaller like this.
  8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I put Camoclad on my then-new outboard in 2003. It still looks like new. Highly recommend.
    (It comes in "permanent" and in "removable" types.)

leftyhunter likes this.
  9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

As wingmatt said, they come off no problem. A lil WD-40 after you remove the tape, and all is back to new.

The only reasons I went back to spray paint are:
    Rust: If you have any gaps in the tape and metal, rust can form. I found a couple of spots when I took mine off after two years.
    Repair: You can put pieces of scrap over any tears (going over fences, dropped gun, etc) and it blends in pretty well. Still, easier to shoot it with a spot of paint, for me at least.
    DSC01699.JPG

leftyhunter and API like this.
  10. cam

cam Elite Refuge Member