JJ Lares A 5 Guys I'm just asking

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Smirk, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Smirk

Smirk Senior Refuge Member

I don't have access to a call to try.. however I have had a hybrid and a t-1 at one time.
    Mostly a daisy cutter/ short barrel/ rm gold digger fan.
    Have found a used a5 with panel checkering....I called Brett and was told they don't offer checkering anymore/
    So it's an older call. Have the tone boards changed over time. Should I hesitate to purchase an older call or what should I look out for? Have done extensive searches...... Just asking. thanks

5Woodies and auto5 like this.
  2. jrode237

jrode237 Elite Refuge Member

IMO, if you're an SB/DC/GD fan....an A5 is not going to be up your alley. Similar to the other Lares in my experience. As to your question, if it's collectable or older....if you can get a deal on it, buy it. Older Lares or unique/wood ones don't usually decrease in value, should you decide to get rid of it.

3. stumpjumper0531

stumpjumper0531 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Whats a Gold Digger Fan?

Sickducker likes this.
  4. Smirk

gold digger.

Didn't realize I worded it so close to your cold weather fan.
    But I am a fan of your gold digger.... great call

5. HybridMachine

HybridMachine Elite Refuge Member

Toneboards have change. Older boards will be a little less raspy, and have less "rattle"
    You can always put the newest board in the call of needed.

I've been told, there has been a lot of change between the checkered models and to today's model from design, dimensions and bore diameters. Which can make a big difference.
    Nonetheless I would buy it for a collector point of view.

auto5 likes this.
  6. Smirk

thanks HybridMachine thats what I was looking for.
    Most all call makers tweek their design over time...its so hard to guess about liking a call without blowing it.

7. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Funny how a call brand that lots criticize won consecutive world live ducks. Bret bought out Joe and is putting his stamp on the calls these days.

8. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

It's the person behind the call more than the call itself. I'm sure Bret could have won 2 on several brands.

I also wouldn't say that the calls get criticized. They simply get talked up as the holy grail which rubs some people,that know better, the wrong way and when they debate those claims it's taken as bashing. They also really only work with ONE specific air presentation, which leads some people that can't adjust not to like them.

Sickducker likes this.
  9. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Trevor I am no where near the caller you and others are, but as an average caller, I find all calls require you to find the right air presentation for that call. I couldn't blow an RNT call worth a crud for more than a minute even with Butch rest his soul standing right in front of me and trying to tune it for me. I agree Bret could make most calls sound real good and a kazoo sound better than most hunters.

10. 5Woodies

5Woodies Elite Refuge Member

If you get the used A5 and don't care for it , Let me know and I will trade you for a newer one .