Shooting and Reloading Forum Sponsors

Load request for specific hull

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by pintail_drake2004, Jan 10, 2017.

1. pintail_drake2004

pintail_drake2004 New Member

Hey guys, I've been reading this forum for a while and I thought you would be the ones to ask. Does anyone have a duck or goose load they like using Hevi-Metal hulls? Hevi-Metal patterns really well in my guns for a factory load, so I have acquired a lot of empties. Normally I use Win AA or Gold Metals for most all my duck and goose loads.
    I've toyed around with working on a load for geese with the hevi-metal hulls, but haven't found anything too impressive yet. I worked up a load of T's that shot about 68-70% at 40 yds, but I'm looking for other options/recipes. I load a lot of HW13 #4, HeviShot #2, as well as several sizes of steel. So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

The Hevi Metal hulls are usually Cheddites, are they the 3" 12 ga hulls?

3. pintail_drake2004

Yes, 3" 12ga hulls.i remember reading they are cheddite hulls, but my manual doesnt list much data for them.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  4. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

I have old manuals with lots of cheddite hulls what you looking for velocity,powder,amount shot i will look tommorrow after work see what i find ballistic products manuals from 90's

5. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Yep cheddite hulls. BPI Advantages lists thousands of cheddite loads, they are really the go-to place for steel shot or non-tox with cheddite, Fiocchi, Rio hulls.

RSI #131 is almost universally liked and touted as one of the best things to do with a 3 in cheddite hull in most discussions I've read:
    cheddite 3in hull (Kent, Hevi-Metal, Herters), Win208 primer, 38.0gr steel, Sam1 3" wad, 1/8"felt #3 shot size or less, 520.0 Steel shot sizes #T-#7, 10200psi, 1550fps, source RSI Vol8#1

If I had to pick one load for 3" hull that would be it-- you can load 1-1/8 oz (492gr) in 2.75" easily so you're doing something useful with the 3in; you get good speed. I'd load #3 or #2 for ducks; #B (101 pellets) or #BB (85) for geese.
    RSI 130 and 134 are 1.25oz shot and are good too, but the extra 4 or 5 pellets are not worth the loss of 100fps-- RSI131 is the sweet spot. BPI has a few 1.25oz loads going 1450-1500fps using the LBC43 and LBC50 wads, some listed under "multi hull" which they called the cheddite for a while.

For HW13#4, you already can fit so much into 2.75" 12ga it's ridiculous-- it takes 570 gr of the stuff to fill up a SAM1 wad, which is about way more than you need of HW13#4... 1oz gives 115 pellets already (you just need 55 in a 30" pattern for geese), a strong goose load and fits perfectly in the 28ga! So IMO 12ga is really a problem of TOO MUCH space for HW13#4 goose loads-- you end up filling the wad up with all sorts of fillers or just totally wasting HW shot. So 3" hulls are not the place for that payload material-- save them for your > 1.125oz steel loads.

6. 10GAGENUT

Gee thanks Dave !! :p
    RSI 131 is about the best steel load for the 3" Cheddites I've used, the Winchester primer won't fit so you have to use the Cheddite CX2000 which are the primers offered for sale here in the U.S.. The load works fine with the Cheddites actual velocity is 1560 -1580 fps depending on your Lot of STEEL powder. RSI 134 is OK for 1 1/4 oz but forget about listed velocity of 1485 fps, actual over the chrono I got around 1350 -1390 fps. RSI 130 gave me to much in the way of velocity swings to like it, think the primer isn't hot enough for my liking.
    For Hevi/HW shot you can't beat RSI 13 (in the Hevi/HW manuals), it is 1 1/2 oz but it's the literal Hammer of Thor on geese with either 4's or 2's, a friend of mine loaded it and knocked the snot out of snows with it on several hunts.
    In the BPI manuals as Dave pointed out any load that is for the BPI Multi hulls is for Cheddite hulls, they just have to change the name on everything for some reason.
    Just be careful and check the primer pockets on the Hevi hulls, a few people and I have noticed that the primer pockets seemed a bit loose even with the Cheddite primers. They may have switched hull types, small companies do that sometimes.

7. Dave in AZ

Not sure if "gee thanks Dave" is good or bad, but I knew you liked rsi131! ;)

I loaded some up with B shot last week for a goose hunt, got 1560 at 4.5 ft, using the cx2000 ie ch209 primer as you mention.

I also loaded up some hw13#4 loads, rsi 25 with 570gr is what it took to fill wad... did a few of those. But its just too many pellets for me. Im surprised you like that full 1.5oz! I ended up loading a box of hw rsi 88.

8. 10GAGENUT

At todays prices the 1 1/2 oz load is a bit pricey, I'm still finishing up the last of my $12 a pound Hevi that I bought years ago, once it's gone I doubt I'll be buying any at todays prices.
    The Gee thanks was a bit of a friendly jab, you know how I am.

9. pintail_drake2004

Thanks for the info gents. I'll pick up the cheddite book from BP.

10. Dave in AZ

Don't buy the Cheddite book-- all their cheddite loads are ALSO in Advantages, their main book, that's the one to buy-- it has all their loads, and isn't much $$. If you purchase all their other books, you're just buying parts of Advantages.