Mixing divers and sea ducks.

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Irish eyes, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Refuge Member

i hunt in an area where I might see divers or scoters on any day.
    I used to put out both decoys, divers on one side of the boat and scoters the other. I felt,last year, that I wasn't getting either birds to decoy well. It also seemed I was always wrong in my choices. If I put out the diver rig I would see mostly scoter and vis versa.
    I am shooting out of a boat blind, 18 foot Crestliner with a beaver tail blind.

I was putting the divers on the starboard side of the anchored into the wind boat, and the scoter on the other. Birds are separated by about 30-40 yards. Was wondering what others do. I would like to go back to rigging for both and was wondering what others do.
    Where I shot in NY, you had one type or the other, never rigged out both types. Now I almost see an equal mix of birds.

2. NOLUCK

NOLUCK Senior Refuge Member

I mix mine together do just fine on both out of my layout rig.

3. NC Ducker

NC Ducker Senior Refuge Member

Don't use your blind. Not joking.

Billy Bob likes this.
  4. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Mix em together

5. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Refuge Member

Can you explain that better. I just cut some cedar to put on the blind.put it in the pockets ,in the driveway. Looked kind of dumb. Pockets are too high. Cedar boughs are too high. We'll see if it makes any difference.

6. NC Ducker

NC Ducker Senior Refuge Member

I assume if you are shooting sea ducks you are open water hunting. I have had better luck on average with my blind down rather than up over the years. It always seemed like when we were getting set up the ducks would just pile right in to the decoys. Then you get anchored and the blind up and the want to skirt the outside. Started trying it with the blind down. Try for yourself. Also you may just need to move the boat around. You just have to be in the right spot and it's like they don't even see you. What's crazy is I've moved the boat before and end up closer to the decoys and they still decoyed better than before the move. I use to hunt with a guy that has his rig painted black. He said you get more birds attention and when they get close there focus switches to the decoys. Don't know if it was true or not but we shoot a mess of black heads and scotters out of it.

7. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Refuge Member

Struck out again today. I did cut some cedar and added them to the blind. Few birds that I saw did not give a look. I took the cedar off the blind and took the blind down. Replaced the cedar over everything. Too few birds to tell if it made a difference. I like the idea of the shorter combination.
    Think the birds have been hammered hard and are very shy.

8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

^^^^
    This

Also, set up to shoot in a crosswind (all decoys on the same side of your boat) so the birds aren't flying directly toward your boat with the scoters on the upwind side and divers forming the tail.