Moist soil Drought managment

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Greekangler, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Greekangler

Greekangler Senior Refuge Member

my inpoundment, with less than a month left in waterfowl season-was basically a flop for the ducks- at 30% capacity none of the groceries are wet- we have no means to flood and this is the first year in four that this has happened. I have a massive water shed- a 2-4 inch hard rain will fill her up very rapidly- but we missed just about all the rain since July.

I have a monoculture of perennial smart weed (water pepper)

Also a lot of dead debree due to lack of moisture. Would you disk the pepper NOW, spray (which relies on rain) in march April if water conditions persist. If things remain real dry I am leaning towards discing in spring. Also supplement with Jap and barnyard grass- would like to shift to 100% moist soil and use other plantings just on flats as they drawdown

I would also like to plant barnyard grass this year vs jap since it comes back annually

You can see all the smart weed debris in the far back and water pepper which is reddish brown - these mud flats typically have 3-24 inches of water

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  2. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

The jap will volunteer for a year or two after the initial planting. By the time it quits it will have given your other moist soil goodies a chance to populate.

Different water scenarios at different times benefit different plants. While you may have a monoculture this year, next year you may have a completely different showing due to conditions.

Grassy stuff (jap/barnyard/sprangletop) is what I like because you can spray a selective herbicide and kill cuckleburrs. If you don't have cuckleburr issues then a stand of smartweed might be good for you.

3. Greekangler

Didn't think about that. So you would see what happens and spray bad stuff? No need to till it up? I typically do partial tills every year but never same area. Sets back plants pretty good to grasses.

You think due to dry conditions water pepper may be less robust? I imagine it would be unless we have a super wet spring and drawdown. Maybe this will solve my problem w primrose. Spray the hell out of it every year. A lot of folks say it's not preferred smarteeed due to small seed- we have had largest number of ducks on beaver pond when millet was planted in front of it- shallower

Yes I would prefer a grass. 2.4d good stuff for releases

4. Greekangler

I haven't had much volunteer smartweed- just water pepper. But do have success w barnyard coming up w selective spraying.

Maybe if real dry this spring just spray earlier. Typically can't get in there until June the last few years or even july

5. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

If I had the opportunity to disc it lightly I probably would but I wouldn't disc under a good crop of moist soil plants just to plant jap.

I do not think that water pepper is as high on the list of preferred foods as things like pa smartweed, by grass. Might even try chufa if you don't think that hogs or turkeys will get in it.

6. Greekangler

My thoughts exactly- I will spray some water pepper to release grasses in march/ April if I can get in there.

Would I get similar results vs discing? Water pepper is basically dried out and dead- spraying dead matter accomplishes nothing. Guess I will disc 1/2 of it and see what i get

7. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

Here they disc all the marshes to promote the moist soil. I must say it does work.

8. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Elite Refuge Member

Another vote for discing. But with a month left of duck season I would keep hope for a rain. Otherwise might as well use the drought as a chance to get in there and work. We rarely are dry enough to disc but when we can, barnyard and pa smartweed will take off. We don't disc the decoy pools otherwise it a pain for an old man to walk in when flooded.

knees likes this.
  9. Greekangler

Would you disk march or April if dry enough or wait later. Will probably encourage bad stuff if too late and hit Tx drought months

10. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

If it were me, I would disk it in March, especially if you saw a hard rain on the horizon. In my opinion, disking doesn't do you a bit of good if you can't get the newly disked soil wet.