NW Indiana

Discussion in 'Indiana Flyway Forum' started by CBretriever, Mar 11, 2017.

1. CBretriever

CBretriever Refuge Member

anyone from the area?
    My wife's grandparents live in Hebron.
    We have been married for five years and she wants me to go with her eventually.
    I see there is a couple state areas nearby and Lake Michigan
    I have a big water boat, mud boat, mod v boat, skiff, etc...
    So I guess what I'm looking for is do I drag a boat through Chicago or just bring a gun and waders
    Also I read that you need a group of at least two even get in the draw. So any advise?

2. redjones

redjones Senior Refuge Member

Not sure how much a NR lic. is but NW IN. is not really known as a hotbed for waterfowl anymore,at one time it was incredible (100yrs ago).
    There are usually plenty of geese around in mid Dec. to the end of season mid Feb.,yes there are ducks but most guys I know kill more geese than ducks every year,state ground here in this area for ducks is very sporadic.
    This place is packed with guys that duck and goose hunt (and deer hunt) so it can be hard for an outsider to have a decent hunt (numbers wise) without help.
    Lake Michigan can be good but its not a body of water you just show up and hunt,it takes years for guys to learn that lake and be confident enough to hunt it SAFELY,not knowing your big water background there might be better options.
    My suggestion is to come on down take a look around and see what you think,maybe meet someone in the area (friends,family) that can help you out,hard telling who your wife's grandparents might know.

Time for the disclaimer,These are just my thoughts and in no way are the views or opinions of the Indiana Flyway Fourm.

Good Luck.......Greg

3. oldman1949

oldman1949 Elite Refuge Member

"These are just my thoughts and in no way are the views or opinions of the Indiana Flyway Fourm."
    While they are your thoughts and opinions they pretty much tell it like it is .
    When it comes to Lake Michigan you need to know that it is a very unforgiving body of water . You do not want to be on it without the correct gear and a good knowledge of it .

4. CBretriever

Thanks for the reply
    I'm not not new to big water I hunt Lake Superior and Michigan but not necessarily a diver guy I like all of it marsh, fields whatever. I like to explore new areas.

The grandfather isn't a hunter or fisherman but he has been there his whole life as far as I know.

Don't really care if I kill birds I'm past that point in my hunting career,(25th season this year) just need something to do so I don't turn into a prick and want to go home in two days.
    December is when we will be there.

If anyone has any interest in the Hayward, Wi area I would be happy to return the favor
    Thanks again

5. CBretriever

i have two kids so my balls are not as big as they used to be!!!
    At least they ain't in my wife's purse

6. Damian Wiening

Damian Wiening Elite Refuge Member

The weather is everything and the launch ramps on Lake Michigan can be iced in depending on your visit timeline, check the Indiana season dates later to get an idea when hunting will be open.

Check back later in the year and a few weeks before you come down, it's always a roll of the dice for big water hunting but it can be very rewarding if the dice roll your way, it's not Wisconsin hunting and great backgrounds, it's industrial backgrounds and noise, but it can be fun.

All other information is classified eyes only to SAP level, doughnuts can get things though, maybe.

7. Big Ches

Big Ches Elite Refuge Member

If you're just coming down for a few days, then my advice would be to hook up with a local or someone from here and hunt with them. Trade a WI hunt.

8. Tim Andrews

Tim Andrews Senior Refuge Member

It's not worth the price of the out of state hunting license and stamp,visit with family it will make your wife a happy person.