Painting a layout boat

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Kazzy8, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Kazzy8

Kazzy8 Senior Refuge Member

Hi all, new to layout boat hunting here. A buddy and I will be painting up a boat to be used on a good sized open water lake. I am thinking of going with a blue/grey type camo paint job (trying to emulate whats on say a Bankes boat). Any suggestions as to weather or not this is the right move and if so what colors/other tips do you have? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Juan De

Juan De Senior Refuge Member

I have an original MLB layout boat and it was all grey and works nicely, but I see where the banks paint job would work

3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

4. TonyH

TonyH Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

You need to go to the water you will be hunting on the average duck hunting day condition take pics of the water from a distance and match it. Weather conditions and water conditions will change that color. But its always nice to start with the color you would most likely be using the boat in. Once you have that figured out you will kill more ducks in the hole.

puddle-head likes this.
  5. JTS

JTS Elite Refuge Member

Battleship grey...there is a reason the navy still paints their ships this color. Tones of grey could be added but ultimately due to the fact that it is a neutral color it will pick up the hues of its surroundings.

Cheers.

6. The Mad Duck

The Mad Duck Elite Refuge Member

I used a battleship gray and a lighter gray to make squiggles to simulate ripples on the water.

7. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

What you hunting, if divers, who cares. If your hunting mallards, then it matters. If mallards then match the water in the same conditions you will hunt in.

8. John Singer

John Singer Senior Refuge Member

When I lived in NE Michigan, I did most of my layout hunting on Lake Huron. The water was very clear and I painted my layout boats a solid battleship gray color. I did try some wavy camo variegation but I do not think it helps at all.

When I moved to south east Michigan and started hunting Lake Erie, my gray layout boat did not blend as well with the water conditions. I repainted the boat a dark olive drab. It made a huge difference in the stealth of the boat.

Like others have said, match the conditions of the waters where you hunt. Stick to a solid color. I would not waste my time or resources on camo patterns. I think they do more to attract hunters than to hide the boat from the ducks.

9. Jerky

Jerky Senior Refuge Member

What others said about color matching is sound advice, but it is very difficult to do from photos. I wouldn't invest too much in the 1st color and then adjust after hunting a few times or a season. I would also consider gloss or semi-gloss paint rather than flat. Any finish will blend well when the water has a ripple or chop, but smooth water will reflect the background (sky, high bluff, shoreline trees, etc.) rather than the water color. A shiny finish reflects background color while flat paint will not. I painted with semi-gloss this year and can say it has not shown to be disadvantageous.

Billy Bob likes this.
  10. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

Do not paint with Gloss, bad idea.