Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Ringers?

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I know there has been little cold weather. We are waiting here for the ringbills. Any reports?

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

We are way warmer than normal. This time of year, most of the small ponds and sheetwater are frozen. We haven't had a frost in over a week. Temps this weekend are forecast to be 10 Celcius, which is 50 Fahrenheit, so don't expect a lot of movement due to freezeup . Photoperiod birds have left, but we still have lots of divers , mallards, big Canada geese, and a even a sprinkling of snow geese (which I have never , ever seen up here in November).

Sorry, migration is delayed for at least 2 more weeks according to weather predictions.

3. Glades Ranger

Thank you, Bang! I envy the variety you have up there. We do have a few spots in northern Florida with a mix, but those "lowly" ringers mean a great deal to me. I will pray Boreas will huff and puff and send the cold down soon!

4. Feathers

Feathers Senior Refuge Member

I've seen good numbers in MN this year and I am sure there are plenty still holding up in Canada.

5. Glades Ranger

Going scouting tomorrow, hope to see the first of many...

6. Northhunter

Northhunter Refuge Member

I'm not sure where the Florida bound rockets originate (funnel down from all over?) but we're in Ontario... east of the sault. First flight of photoperiod birds was a little late and not as strong as usual. They showed up around the 6th? of October. For reference the magic date seems to be the 3rd. Magic as in that's the day you want off work 'cause they'll be fresh and thick as mosquitoes. Been trickling through since and we generally have them until about the middle of Nov. I'm expecting good numbers this weekend. I dunno how far south they've made it, but they've been movin' for about a month now. Still lots up here I'm sure. All our ponds are still open.

7. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

We had a good push into and likely through southern virginia this week. All the ponds I see on a daily basis had ringers on them.

8. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Haven't seen many on the MN Canada border until today. But that just my little corner of the world.

9. Glades Ranger

Well, I saw my first three- they were jetting but flight is unmistakable.:tu Otherwise, the marsh is very quiet. A 15 mph NE wind and 69F is really a delight after so many months of heat/humidity. I am saying my prayers to the duck gods...

10. skywatcher1

skywatcher1 Elite Refuge Member

Seen more ringnecks then i care to see in southeast missouri already