Snow goose decoys

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Action, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Action

Action Elite Refuge Member

Starting from scratch for a snow goose spread in Washington state and need advise.

1) Brand of socks that fill up in light winds and adjusts when direction changes.

2) Ratio of headless vs with heads?

3) full bodies is it worth it? Really trying to conserve trailer space and a tub of socks would be preferred. If so brand and percentage of FB vs socks.

4) Since battery operated decoys are not allowed what else should I have for motion in the spread. (Wing waivers, kites ect)

2. Gussleyer

Gussleyer Refuge Member Sponsor

Cabelas has economy sillosocks on sale right now for 262.00 for 10 dozen. I wouldn't bother with full bodies. Guys still killing snows with Texas rags so don't worry about heads. Sillosock fliers are the way to go for motion. Just my opinion

3. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

It's Washington, factor in rain as well

4. rossgoose

rossgoose Refuge Member

Fullbodies are absolutely worth it. However, I would not mix if you are starting from scratch. Economy sillosocks are a great deal and the best socks on the market today.

5. wyfarrell

wyfarrell Senior Refuge Member

I'd look towards whiterocks or dive bombs. I recently sold an entire rig of sillosocks, and couldn't be happier with my decision. The shiny, bare corroplast heads of sillosocks ruined one too many hunts for me, much happier going back towards a conventional windsock design.

6. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

Also factor in the OP is in Washington which a relatively low limit of 6 I think. Conventional thinking of Midwest snow spreads might not apply here.

Large socks spreads in northern California because b of rain and muddy fields can be a pain, the OPPORTUNITY will have some of those issues to factor

7. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Senior Refuge Member

Where we are in eastern Washington rain isn't normally a problem, even though fall is a wet time of the year. We average 8 inches a year here.
    As of now our goose limit is 4, period. No special limits for whitey yet, hopefully soon. We've been wintering somewhere around 10k snows in our area, not great numbers compared to the Midwest or Cali where kid hunts but something we can target.
    I've had the chance to hunt snows over silo's once here, and absolutely understand the obsession of these birds. When they work the spread it's simply awesome.

8. rossgoose

rossgoose Refuge Member

Interesting theory, our best hunts over sillosocks are bright sunny, windy days. I've never gotten the impression that the heads shine, and a decoy with a head looks better to me than a headless decoy.
    Been hunting over fullbodies 60-70% of the time lately anyway, theyve been eating them up this year so far.

9. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Been using Sillosocks since they first came out along with deadlies and recently whiterocks. If hauling/carrying is an issue, stay away from deadly. The Whiterocks are ok but I've had issues with the push nuts coming off and after 2-3 seasons on some, the tyvek is tearing where the backbone bends. Plus, the collar does not stay round, doesn't effect the decoy much but drives me nuts. The Sillosocks,overall,have been the best decoys I've used. In the last 10 seasons of using these, we've probably only lost 2dz to use, freezing to sheetwater, or birds falling on them. Never had an issue of glare flaring birds. I will say that if I could afford, store, haul fullbodies, I'd use those over anything.

10. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

check out Sillosock flocksox.