Special Ops On Buck-Brush?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by booger, Mar 15, 2004.

1. booger

booger Elite Refuge Member

Let's play make believe:

How would a fellow eliminate "buck-brush" in a covert special ops style. I just want it to die a puzzling unmarked death and go away. Elaborate spraying, bulldozing, buzz sawing not an option.

Inject some Round-Up at the base? Surely there is something deadlier? I've heard of Di-Quat.

2. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

a night time aerial application of thermite or napalm. if you can't do that, 2-4d and glyphosate would probably work. don't know how long the dead stuff would stick around before it decomposes. not sure if much else would grow there for up to 12 months after applying 2-4d.

3. Patrick_76

Patrick_76 Elite Refuge Member<br>In Memory<br>03/13/76 - 12/

Go to your local extension office and get a book on recommended chemicals. There should be a few listed for killing buckbrush. Don't know if 2,4-D or glyphosate are stout enough to kill that stuff.
    Patrick

4. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

While I question the legality of your invasion since you don't want it to be known that it was hit with something....

[​IMG]

Can be applied while dormant... it would just not refoliate in the spring. :tu

5. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Eraser or Eraser AQ will kill it...

Since Buck Brush produces food for ducks, it sounds like you are trying to sabotage someone duck hole?

6. booger

booger Elite Refuge Member

Nothing too voodoo here, while I can think of several Corps areas that used to be maintained by hunters and now have gone to hell due to new restrictions, I have some swamp land that has a rather vague "corner" with no defined ownership boundary, that corner area is currently unusable to hunt, it's just too choked up with brush. (Now whether all of it is official 100% "buck brush" or just crap this redneck calls bruck bush is anyones guess). All it needs is just a little hole to naturally appear, without much fess.

Thanks for the advice guys, carrying in a sprayer is out of the question, 2-4-D sounds good, injected at the base?

7. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Have the same question more or less. Want to open some holes in the mess to show some water. Currently it is so thick there is no opening and you just have to duck your hand and snake through it. I am not beyond sawing out holes though but I ain't hiking a chainsaw back in there to do it with.

After 10+ years is Eraser still the way to go? Will it kill cypress trees? There are some of those in there too and I don't want to harm them.

8. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

Smashdn. I just cut pathways through stuff like that. Usually limbing it back is suffient. Just cut back flush to next branch so you aren't leaving stobs to trip you are hang your waders walking past.

9. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Will that open it up enough to be able to make it desirable for a duck? This thing is a long hike in and I am hoping to make it one of those secluded hidey holes.

10. Echo

Echo Senior Refuge Member

If you want to kill it, and have it not come back, cut it, then brush undiluted glyphosate or triclopyr onto the stumps. The majority of arborists will use triclopyr, which is the active ingredient in Garlon, in lieu of Glyphosate. Eraser is just generic Roundup. If you want to do this while there is water, use Aquaneat- aquatic labelled glyphosate. It is 51% in lieu of the 41% which is the original Roundup concentration. Also, if you are going to use Triclopyr, there are two forms, one is an amine, one is an ester formulation. The ester formulation is "hotter" and that is the one that is usually used for cut stump applications.

If you want to kill trees without people knowing, look up EZ Ject. It is herbicide in capsules, or whatever, that can be injected directly into the trunk, I think it uses a .22 blank shell as a propellant. Two herbicide capsules, one is Imazapyr, one Glyphosate.

Clayton likes this.