Special Ops On Buck-Brush?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by booger, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Echo

Echo Senior Refuge Member

Ooooppppssss forgot.
    Also check Tordon RTU. Comes in a quart bottle I think. Hack and squirt method. Take a hatchet, hack through the bark girdling the tree apply Tordon.

Clayton likes this.
  2. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

If you just kill it chemically then you will still have the dead bush there for several years. Good chance you will have new buttonbush, willow or maple fill in. If you want it to be a true hole then cut it and treat the stumps as mentioned previously.

Smashdn, If you need to create a true hole then you will have to cut one out taking the whole bush. What I did was cut a lane 50' wide at a NW to SE angle. Really helps focus the birds into a single lane. Most shots are easy as birds come in to land. I cut trails through remaining buttonbush for retreiving the occasional cripples.

3. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

Fecon forestry head mulcher
    Buck brush will be gone at a rate of couple ac per hr

4. AndyMo2005

AndyMo2005 Elite Refuge Member

brush grubber and a come along if you want to be cheap about it. Might be a good project for spring time, I wouldn't want to mess with it in the summer time. Hard work for sure.

5. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

There is a soybean product called Command by FMC that is white death on buck brush. When we applied the product, buck brush was the first to die, it turns the leaves Snow White I haven't heard of used the product in years, you might check with your farm supplier, he might have a jug setting around. I trust we are taking about the same buck brush I call buck brush.

6. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Buck brush, buck willows, buttonball bush. Same stuff in my book.

7. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Started hunting a 12 acre pond/lake 6 years ago that had scattered buck brush around. The surrounding land was not farmed, just pasture. 4 years ago, the surrounding land started being farmed and the runoff from the fields has killed 90% of the buck brush (or something has). There is also a thick layer of green scum laying at the bottom of the pond that was not there 6 years ago. Water is very clear, you can see down to about 8'. Ducks and geese are not visiting like the did 6 years ago either.

8. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Nitrogen and herbicide run off.

9. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Elite Refuge Member

Something caused a twig dieback on our buttonbush last year. About 12-18" of the outer branches died on acres of it. No matter - we are overrun with the stuff. Several large areas are so dense the birds can no longer use it. We have already drained our main lake this year and will try to get a dozer in there to push out about 8 out of 10 bushes in those overgrown areas only.