vacume forming Snow goose Shells...

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by evanupnorth, Dec 14, 2016.

1. evanupnorth

evanupnorth Refuge Member

Ive been entertaining the idea of building silo's..

just curious if any one has attempted to vacume form their own shells...??

the set up/design seams simple enough, the plastic thickness is my only question..

not sure if anyone knows the approx. thickness of plastic used in a economy snow goose shell, based on pricing it's hard to say if its worth it.

available plastic thickness's are
    .020 - .1

or has anyone tried this.

2. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

You're making this decoy thing too difficult. Unless you have nothing to do and you don't value your time, going thru the process of making decoys isn't really worth it.

3. smitytv

smitytv Senior Refuge Member

I'm thinking the guy is like most of us , wants to experience making something of his own and using it ?
    Anyway..
    My dad was a shop teacher and one project his classes did each year was a vacuum form decoy project . They shaped sand or clay sculpted a duck or goose decoy shell , an then they built a vaccum box with a heat element grill on the top of the box. It worked great, each one would need tweaking to get the heat right , or and leaks in the box sealed to pull the vaccum down, and then timing it right to get it down pat .
    The best part of it is you can build a very solid system with a lot of different
    peices of equipment . A shop vac, a old style heating grill. A hot air gun
    Ect.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  4. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

Evan,

For your hunting area, you will do just fine using socks, either Sillosocks or a White Rock or Greenbay type socks. If you want to make your own to save $$$$ I get that, especially if you are on lock down for the next 4 months for weather. WR or Greenbay type socks do better in heavy wind, Sillosocks do better with a light wind