Your thoughts on Tanglefree vs. Higdon floaters

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Il. MudDuk, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

I have my reasons for inquiring about both these brands but I wanted others' opinions on which is preferred and why.

I do not own any Tanglefree decoys but I do have some Higdon diver ducks and only four of their Speck floaters.
    The specks look "ok", have a good paint adhesion and tough plastic. I like the line tie-off / adjustment hook at the front of the keel as well.
    I am not overly pleased with the speck colors or that the decoys seem a bit "short" or should I say "thin" in ref. to over-all height.

Just curious.
    Thanks.

2. Il. MudDuk

117 views and no one has comments on Higdon vs. Tanglfree snow/blue goose floaters ?? :scratch

3. QuinnNadu

QuinnNadu Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I would go with the Higdons. The Tanglefree heads chip up pretty quickly. Think mine with getting large chips after 2-3 uses/

Il. MudDuk likes this.
  4. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

My dad and I bought some 24 Tanglefree blues from Cabelas when they closed them out ($59/4pack) and left them out all ducks season. No leaks and no chips in the paint. No experience with Higdons.

Il. MudDuk likes this.
  5. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Are you talking about speck decoys, or honkers?

I own both brands of speck decoys. The Higdons Specks are basically their honker decoys painted as specks. I think the TF are more realistic, but the higgins can't be beat for durability. They are big, heavy decoys, and ride great on the water, but I wouldn't want to have to hump them very far. TF specks are smaller.

Il. MudDuk likes this.
  6. Il. MudDuk

Snows/blues.
    Being that this is the Snow Goose forum, I took it for granted guys would know :flame;)

I have the Higdon Specks but thought about getting a few more snow floaters. What I like about the Higdons and TF's is the hook, or horn, on the front of the keel to shorten strings if need be.
    All other brands either have nothing on the front of the keel or not enough of a "notch" to hold the size #72 string I typically use.

My comments on the Higdons were on their overall shape & color...not bad, but not the best. My 4 Higdon specks ARE tough and have held up well but the TangleFree's caught my eye as well.

7. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Sorry, the thread started by mentioning Speck decoys....

That being said, I forgot that I have a few TF Canada Floaters. I hunted over them ( and the TFspeck, and Higdon Honkers)last night in a big wind. For what it is worth, the higdon decoys ride substantially better than the TF. I assume the TF SOB's are from the same mold as their specks.

8. 81arnghunter

81arnghunter New Member

I love my higdon floaters

9. Il. MudDuk

81, do you have the Higdon blue goose floaters ?
    I havent seen them in person but the photo's I saw didnt make their paint scheme look all that appealing...maybe its just me.

I ended up getting a four pack of the Tangle Free blues to try. Since I have some Higdon specks, I figured give the TF's a try before spending money on Higdon SOB's.
    The TF's seem like they have good plastic with reasonable paint jobs. Time will tell.
    Thanks for the replies.

10. 81arnghunter

81arnghunter New Member

yes i have the blues as well, they seem to work, the paint is tough and i texas rigged mine so that's why i got higdon.