01 f150 no heat

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by weekend warrior, Feb 20, 2014.

1. weekend warrior

weekend warrior Elite Refuge Member

Truck has no heat and don't know why. Suffered through it all winter but wanting to get stuff fixed on it now before school starts next fall and have no money for it. Anyone have a ford with this problem? Ac blows cold and heater isn't cold but more just cab temp. I've read blender door, heater core, broken nob, and others. Fixing all of these without first hand knowledge almost seems wasteful. At the same time I don't wanna spend hundreds at the mechanic either.

2. WABBIT-SLAYER

WABBIT-SLAYER Senior Refuge Member

It could be your thermostat.

3. weekend warrior

weekend warrior Elite Refuge Member

Didn't think of that. The one in it now was just a cheapy that came with the new intake manifold when my old one blew out.

Every other ford known problem, I've had in this truck. :doh but now I'm too much money into it to sell it and buy something else. Hell by next month it'll probably be completely rebuilt. I suggest a Chevy to anyone looking to buy a new or used truck.

I also just looked up failed thermostat and the conditions to stuck open is long warm up times (mine definately ain't fast but not too long either) and no heater. As well as bad fuel mileage (my god I hope this is my problem. 10mpgs is killin me) and the only one I don't see is a low temp reading if any reading at all. Mine seems normal but 3 out of 4 is a pretty swaying vote to me. I'll change it next week when I swap injectors.

4. triplecurler

triplecurler Senior Refuge Member

Check antifreeze level, too low and won't heat. Check both lines for in and out of block to make sure you don't have a blockage. I had a similar problem with my car, wouldn't heat at an idle, but would heat going down the highway just fine.

5. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

Mine did this this winter turned out to be the blend door inside the plenum under the dash door would not let the air to flow over the heater core. Fixed it by cutting hole in the plenum plastic and moving the door by hand. Only other option is to tear the dash out to get to the problem look up on YouTube it shows you where to cut so you only need 1 cut this summer will have to fix it right.

6. pangborn83

pangborn83 New Member

First place I would look is heater core hoses and upper radiator hose. After it has ran for a bit grab all three. See if they are close to the same temp. If upper radiator hose is cold I'd swap thermostat. If the upper hose is hot and one heater core hose is hot and the other is cool I'd back flush the heater core and see what it does may need to replace it if you get a ton of rust out of it though as sometimes it will spring a leak cause you got all the rust out that was sealing it. If all three hoses are hot blend door would be my next look. Oh and I agree avoid fords yours is only 13 years young and it isn't as nice as the day it rolled off the showroom floor lol. Just busting your balls but seriously the truck is old your gonna have issues no manufacturer produces a truck that does not have common fail points and at that age you can't expect reliable trouble free, and service free. Best of luck

7. perfmarine

perfmarine Elite Refuge Member

There is a truck that runs trouble free at that age its a toyota tundra. My buddy has a toyota land cruiser that has 390,000 and is still pretty much trouble free with original engine and trans.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

8. pangborn83

pangborn83 New Member

Key word "pretty" a huge factor in how trouble free a vehicle is at that age and, mileage is preventive maintenance throughout its life. I have a buddy that had an f150 he bought new in 1980 had the 4.9 4 speed 4wd. He took great care of it, and in 2000 he bought another brand new truck and sold off his old truck, it had 200k + I don't remember exact mileage, I haven't seen it in years but it was around for awhile after he sold it. I know motor tranny tcase etc. were still original, he did alternators, starters, valve cover gasket, clutch, etc. basic wear items, had any rust sand blasted and repainted every year, but still it required maintenance.

9. Geeb

Geeb Senior Refuge Member

flush the heater core. Same happened to my sons ford. THis took care of it for a while but clogged back up. My mechanic ended up putting a filter in the line that can be cleaned

10. Water Dog

Water Dog Refuge Member

start off with flushing the radiator. Could be clogged.