10 gauge Reloading manual

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by 10GAGENUT, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Well I know You , You'll be a great asset to this forum as we give Old Joe's manual .....a spin !
    Thanks for stopping by Rob.......:tu

10GAGENUT likes this.
  2. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

I have it sitting right here. One load I have been shooting lately is in here. Nice to see the true pressure. I think I'll load up a few more box's now that I have the data to write on the box. I have been reloading just a few as I shoot it. Not wanting to let the wildcat shells escaping out into the world. Wish I had a few Federal hulls left. Guess I'll need to add some next to the buckets of Remington and Winchesters I have. Plenty of data for win/rem in this book. Exceptional fed hull loads also.

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Since there's little to no data for the Winchester hulls I tried to include as much as I could, if you use the right wads/loads with them you get really good results.

4. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

E5EB2902-49F0-4603-B018-765EDED13A6B.jpeg
    Baltz, you (or anyone) can if you’ll look at my ad in the reloading classified above. Just posted it yesterday.

5. 10GAGENUT

I've had a few people ask if I've tried substituting any of the IMR Alliant clone powders, Green, Unequal, Blue, etc. in some of the 10 gauge load recipes and if they are the same as using Alliant powders. I haven't yet but plan on trying them in the spring when the weather clears a bit, anybody who has your results are always welcome information.

6. 10GAGENUT

I want to thank everybody for the great response I have had for the manual and the great suggestions and ideas I have been getting from a lot of people. Keep them coming, thanks Joe

7. 10GAGENUT

I've had a few questions on why I chose Blue Dot instead of STEEL powder for the lighter weight 1 1/4 oz steel shot loads in the manual.
    I tested both powders, STEEL powder will work but will produce velocities in many instances well over 1700 fps and in actual field use I was getting a very bright foot long flame from some of the 1 1/4 oz STEEL powder loads which in low light was a bit blinding. Blue Dot burned much cleaner with these lighter loads and did not produce the flame that STEEL did, also since many people will use these loads with smaller shot sizes for ducks the slower velocities using Blue Dot patterned much better not blowing patterns apart like the extremely high velocities produced by STEEL powder. I noted this in the load recipes as Blue Dot worked much better in these applications than STEEL powder did.

8. 10GAGENUT

Cheddite 10 gauge hull notes..
    I didn't include Cheddite 10 gauge hull loads in the manual as I noted I tested them and experienced quite a bit of brass expansion, to the point with some higher pressure loads extraction was getting difficult. The Winchester hull recipes can be used with the Cheddite hulls as their internal capacity is very close however use the START load powder grains and CX 2000 primers.
    You may experience excessive brass expansion if you use the Max loads listed for the Winchester hulls with the Cheddite hulls.

Rob Mack likes this.
  9. 10GAGENUT

Remington hull notes
    Been getting a few questions on new unfired Olive Drab 10 gauge Remington hulls, from measurements made by myself and others they are oversized and may need to be trimmed to cycle correctly in some guns. Best advice is try them and see if they will cycle without catching in your gun, if they need to be trimmed take off about .075" and they should cycle fine in any gun.
    Trimming is discussed in the manual.

10. 10GAGENUT

Wad pressure notes
    With the large amounts of powder used in many 10 gauge loads especially STEEL powder using adequate wad pressure with steel shot loads is extremely important. Using the method outlined in the manual use wad pressure of 60-100 lbs on the wad BEFORE you insert shot or spacers into the wad. I've found that trying to put wad pressure on a load that already has shot and spacers in it has to much give and does not give adequate wad pressure. I know some of the reloading manuals say to do it with shot and spacers in the wad, but the method I just described has worked much better for me.