10 Gauge Target/Light loads

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by 10GAGENUT, Mar 30, 2017.

1. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I get quite a few people asking about 10 gauge target or light load information, thought I would make a sticky on it for those who are interested.
    For components you can use a standard 3 1/2" 10 ga hull, you need gas seals or 10 ga nitro cards, some Remington SP-10 or BPI Vp100 wads, and perhaps some spacers for lighter 1 1/4 oz or 1 3/8 oz loads.
    For powder amounts I usually use the light loads from Alliants data, keep in mind when using Gas seals or Nitro cards try to start out with load data that is listed as lower pressure to start with as the Gas seal/Nitro card combination will raise pressures beyond those listed around 1000- 1500 psi with most loads. Alliant lists some Herco loads over 10,000 psi I would stay away from those as pressures could be quite high using a stacked load. Loads I use are the lower pressure 7000-8000 psi loads.
    Alliants listed 1 1/4 oz Greed Dot and Unique loads and the 1 5/8 oz Blue Dot loads all have worked well for me with stacked loads. For 1 1/2 oz loads use the Blue Dot 1 5/8 oz data and the loads will work fine also.
    With Automatic shotguns such as the Gold 10, SP-10 and Mag-10 loads I have found loads lighter than 1 1/2 oz will not cycle the guns usually, so I usually recommend 1 1/2 oz as the lightest to use if you want reliable cycling. For Pumps, SxS's, etc. the lighter 1 1/4 oz loads should do fine.
    Here's a picture of 1 5/8 oz #6 CP lead with 45 grains Blue Dot in the Federal 10 gauge hull, with an Alcan Gas seal, two 10 ga nitro cards with Remington SP-10 wad on top. Pictured componets are the SP-10 wads, clear alcan gas seals, Winchester gas seals (same as BPI gas seal) and some 10 gauge nitro cards. You can use the BPI gas seals in place of the Alcan Gas seal.
    Any questions or comments please post or PM me.
    [​IMG]

Farm4wildlife likes this.
  2. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Nice post, I'll send folks here from now on ;)

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Thanks, it fills a need for a lot of people that don't want to shoot heavy loads all the time.