10Gauge - Waterfowl Reloading Equipment

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by GooseGunners, Oct 22, 2017.

1. GooseGunners

GooseGunners New Member

Hello All,

I'm looking to reload all of the Winchester DryLok and HeviShot hulls I've accumulated over the last 2 seasons and was looking at the following equipment thus far:
    • Reloader - Ponsness Warren LS-1000 (link)
    • Wads - BDP10s Pre-Slit (link)
    • Shot - Zinc Plated Steel #F (link) and BBB (link)
    In addition to looking for some feedback on the above, I need some help on primers and powder.
    • Primers - Any thoughts on Winchester 209 (link) ?
    • Powder - I have no Idea where to begin here, but I'm used to shooting 1450fps+.

I really appreciate your help! Thank you!

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

You need to buy a reloading manual first. Do a search, lots of info on which one to buy

3. GooseGunners

GooseGunners New Member

@10GAGENUT Might be the right person to help me here based on what I read on here. I looked around for a reloading manual and it seems like the best one (The Mighty 10 Gauge) is out of print and unavailable everywhere. Nonetheless, it seems like you have perfected the ****tail of what's needed.

Any advice? Also any recommendations on a good manual?

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

5. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

Two completely different hulls which will require setting up the press different for each. I have the MEC 10ga Steel master. It will not adjust to load the 3 1/4" Winchester drylok hulls. I need to use a spacer to lift the hull on final crimp. Not a big deal but it adds a step. Then the Winchester hulls require a short wad. I trim the BP wads to 2.120" for the drylok hulls. With these two steps the Winchester hulls make good loads. 615-620gr at 1500fps using Steel powder and fed209a primers. On the hevishot hulls I have none. Except for a few Remington versions.

6. GooseGunners

GooseGunners New Member

How much is this actually saving you? And are you getting the same/better performance?

7. gold10

gold10 Senior Refuge Member

I haven't seen any loading data for 10 ga Hevishot hulls. I've played around with them and found that upon depriming the brass will bulge out where the primer seats. I've also noticed the brass wants to separate from the hull. I do not have this problem with other hulls. Seem like junk to me.

8. baltz526

My reloads run about $10 per 25. They perform better than any Factory load of Steel shot. Today I was shooting 1500fps 1 1/2oz Zink plated B. Something you can not buy. Killed 2 western Canada geese and 4 ducks for the day. The 12 and 13 pound geese where at about 50-55 yards. I weighed the geese

Ringbill and jzoo like this.
  9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

And that's about the most lethal load for all types of waterfowl hunting , you can get.......reloading ! :tu:yes

I wish I could find someone who wanted ALL my 10 ga reloading stuff ? It's in a package deal for everything !! :yes

10. baltz526

Well the 144 #1 steel load at 1600fps is a bit better for ducks. And the 85 BBB at 1600fps is better for Geese. But Yesterday was a dual opportunity hunt. So I was using the B steel. I have a few more loaded and a lot more Zink B on the shelf.