12 ga...3 inch vs 3.5 inch

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by shooter686, Jan 23, 2008.

1. shooter686

shooter686 Senior Refuge Member

lets discuss!! what is your preference and why?

2. Playa

Playa Elite Refuge Member

cost and availability. if you call the bird into a decent range the 3.5 isn't necessary in my opinion. i know it has a considerably higher pellet count and powder charge, but my shotgun is plenty lethal with the correct 3" rounds at 40 yds with the stock full choke. i say if it ain't broke then don't fix it.

3. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Which ever one patterns the best with lead 5s or 4s or tungsten 6s or 5s.

You might want to check out a turkey load article on the OK web site at wildlifedepartment.com if you want to see how some loads patterned.

I would agree with Playa. A 12-gauge 3" load is more than adequate if the bird is in range, inside 40 yards.

The catch is, how far out there do you want to shoot them? I know there will be some come on here and say that this or that load killed ol' Tom at 70 some yards, and with a lucky BB it probably has. But to me, we should be talking about trying to killing everyone we shoot at, no cripples allowed! Yes, I know you can't always have 100% kills but it shouldn't keep us from trying. Crippling turkeys is the worst! If you aren't sure he is going to be dead then don't pull the trigger.

So, if the birds you shoot at are inside the 40 yard range then you don't need a 3 1/2" load, more isn't always better sometimes it's just more!

4. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

in a blind watching the specks and sprig work
    Quote :)

5. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

3 in. why punish yourself shooting the "roman candles?" and do not tell me that they do not kick in your gun if you shoot one through a turkey choke. if you do you are not being truthful. a 3 in. as stated above will kill one just as dead, cheaper, and without that mule kick.

old

6. NEArkMike

NEArkMike Refuge Member

3 & 1/2 because I can.
    Old, if you only shoot 2 to 3 times a year the "mule kick" ain't so bad. I thought you Ark. boys were tough?

7. Maineduckhunter

Maineduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

Heck, I've killed them with 2 3/4" #2 STEEL :l If the bird is in range, and you know how your gun shoots, you should have no problems in killing it (less any excitement of coarse).

Like the others have said, 3" shells are just fine. I went through a "phase" where I bought a turkey choke, specialized shells, red do scope on so forth. Patterned the gun until I was tired of patterning. 3.5" shells in various forms did not perform as well as some 3" shells. I made my decision based on my results, and I haven't been second guessing anything since then, and have even killed a few birds.

So to answer your question, yes, 3" shells are very afffective in kiiling Tom Turkey.

8. Green is Gold

Green is Gold Elite Refuge Member

3 inch. I patterned some 3.5 inch once and only once. My shoulder still hasn't forgiven me. Why is it that loads seem to kick much harder at the patterning board than they do when you have a longbeard at 30 yds?:grvn I killed a lot of turkeys with 2 3/4 inch copper plated lead before all the premium loads were developed. 3.5 inch is overkill IMO.

9. Used to shoot 3.5" when I was younger cause I thought I needed them. I have killed many with 2 3/4 PMC turkey loads. Killed a bunch with 3" too. At 10 yards, who in the hell needs a 3.5" shell? I'll tell you who, the guys who think it will kill them deader than 3" (even though you cant get more dead), and they guys that are overcompensating for something.

10. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

ne, it's not a matter of being tougher. it's a matter of being smarter. we are tougher and smarter. ks said it well. i've got some good friends here that all they hunt with is youth 20's and they have killed several turkeys with them out to 40 yards.

old