12 ga...3 inch vs 3.5 inch

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by shooter686, Jan 23, 2008.

1. JShelton

JShelton Elite Refuge Member

I just got through looking at some 20's and I am really thinking about saving up some money over the summer and getting an 870 20ga. Those things only weight 6 lbs. compared to 7 1/4lbs for my 12ga.

2. Honk Hunter

Honk Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Three inch shells work just fine as was mentioned, but the biggest reason I shoot 3 1/2 inch shells - either Winchester X-tended or Hevi-Shot is that I'm hunting in bear and cougar country in Washington and Idaho. If I ever have a dangerous encounter with one of those creatures, I want as much firepower as possible!

3. Mallard Machete

Mallard Machete Elite Refuge Member

I'd be more concerned about having a quick follow-up shot. With a pump at least, I find the time between shots grows in direct proportion with the length of the shells. I must recover from the recoil and get back on target while working the action.

2.75" Shells = Quick follow-up shots
    3" Shells = Slower follow-up shots
    3.5" Shells = Slowest follow-up shots

4. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

well, i am surprised. i figured by this time there would be 10 or 12 wanting to know where i stays to come whup upon me.

old

5. duck kid

duck kid Senior Refuge Member

I shoot 3 1/2 inch shells. I wouldnt say I shoot them because I dont feel comfortable on how close I can call the birds. Last season I called the gobbler in to 8 yards.
    I have to also disagree with you because I dont think that shooting 3 1/2 shells hurt. Im 6'3'' 215 pounds and shoot 3 1/2" shells at ducks and geese too.
    Bottom line do I need 3 1/2 shells? NO Am I going to keep shooting them? Of course and if they did come out with a gun that shot 4 in shells I would probablly buy one cause you cant ever have to many guns

6. JShelton

You wanna srap old man. I'll power bomb your butt. Where you at? 3" shells are for wussies.

Never mind, I would hate for you to have to go home and tell all your friends a young buck like me whooped your tail.:l

7. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

Shooter

my first 20 -30 turks were shot in dickie pants and a camo jacket, with no facemask and shiny 870. It's about setup and being ready! Of course like all, I now camo head to toe and shoot a Knight TK2000 camo muzzy. It's 3 for 3!

Oh yeah and if I take my modern shotgun, it's 3" only. One too many shoulder surgeries!

Doug

8. Man, you and I have soo much in common in the turkey woods it isn't even funny. We should hunt together sometime.

9. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

ks, if i were younger ain't nothing i'd like more than to do that. and the argument about the two shells is all about common sense and respect to the bird you hunt. if you respect the bird you aren't going to shoot one at outlandish distances and take a chance of crippling it and losing it. you get that bird in close. and if you can get that bird in close you do not need a 3 1/2 in shell to kill it. and once again, you are lying if you tell me one shot through a turkey choke don't punish you. i don't care how big of an ole boy you are. i duck hunt with a great big ole boy and he shoots 3 1/2 in shells and they are not through a turkey choke. one week into the season his shoulder looks like hamburger. it's just plain stupid. i've shot them and i've killed a few turkeys with them and i know. they hurt.

i've toyed with the idea of hunting some this spring with a .28 ga.

old

10. JShelton

I have decided this year that I am going to get a jellyhead choke with my 870because I don't want to leave anything to chance. I am also going to set a 30-40 yard limit on myself. I am doing this because I don't want to injure a bird and I like to get them in close; you can't do that if you are in your own personal competition to see how far you can shoot a bird.