12 ga...3 inch vs 3.5 inch

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by shooter686, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Dove Commander

Dove Commander Elite Refuge Member

I use a Mossberg 835 with wood stock and blued finish, never noticed turkeys not coming in because of it, some buddies tried tellin me you gotta have camo gun to kill turkeys........ right...... guess them camo guns pattern better or something lol. Each man has a right to his own opinion, and i shoot 3 1/2 shells, why? Just what I am comfortable with, heck when you 6'0, 275 lbs you can shoot anything :) lol, its just whatever your comfortable with is what you should be hunting with/shooting. If you aint comfortable with your equipment or no confidence in it, might as well stay at home cause its gonna be in your head all day.

2. Duckologist

Duckologist Elite Refuge Member

You are a broke back sicko my friend!!!!:dv :D :p

3. shooter686

shooter686 Senior Refuge Member

good thread! thanks for the responses. i always like to read others opinions.

hey kswaterfowler, what part of kansas you from? ill be up around fredonia sometime in late april.

anybody hearing any gobblin' yet?

4. JShelton

JShelton Elite Refuge Member

Squeal like a pig boy.

WeeeeeeeWeeeeeeeeeeeWeeeeeeee:l

5. redleg06

redleg06 Elite Refuge Member

I already posted on this once but I got to put in my next .02 I guess.

I am on the same page with all you guys that want to get turkey in as close as possible:clap . That to me is the number one priority and I am glad to hear it from others.

What I cant stand hearing is that if you choose to shoot a 3.5" shell it makes you a bad turkey hunter:rolleyes: . Maybe I didnt read the label on the shell box when I bought the 3.5's that says you are not allowed to shoot turkey within 40yds of these shells....

Its a pretty big generalization to assume that everyone that uses 3.5's does so just so they can go out and blast turkey at 50-60yds and are bad turkey hunters.

3.5" shells always= bad turkey callers/hunters that cant get turkey in effective range:fp .

I personally like shooting them because when I go to the range to pattern my gun at all distances I put more pellets in the kill zone. If me wanting to shoot a bigger shell makes me a worse hunter then so be it I guess.

Someone mentioned in a post earlier that they used to be effective blue jeans vs. camo. Same concept in my mind, Can you be effective in blue jeans the majority of the time??? Apparently you can, but all things being equal, is wearing good Camo going to give you an extra advantage?? Probably

So my theory is why take the chance?

P.S I am 6.5" tall and way 310#'s, the 3.5's really dont hurt. Do they kick more yes, but they dont hurt IMO.

6. Dove Commander

thats what im talkin bout redleg! and no way is that flavor flav in your avatar haha

7. Dski

Dski Senior Refuge Member

3.5's - I read somewhere about a decade ago they were the only thing that could kill a turkey. Yes, i know better now - but at the rate I'm nocking them dead these 2 boxes will last till I'm retired!!

I finally got my first 2 years ago, then I became such an "expert" that I decided my next must come with the bow.

8. JShelton

JShelton Elite Refuge Member

redleg, It is the same reason that they don't let people carry any larger than #2 on some WMAs while duck hunting, it makes it that much more tempting to skybust a few.

9. Dove Commander

j yall aint allowed more then #2 shot on yalls wmas? we can use up to T's of course, we are known for skybusting lol, but just the way it is around here i reckon, grown up with it.

10. LittandJake

LittandJake Elite Refuge Member

I wouldn't hesitate to use either one. I use a 3.5 cause that is what I have. I have contemplated going to the 3" shell cause I hear lots of people say they pattern better. My boys youth 20 patterns better than my gun at 30 yards. I would use it in a heartbeat.