12 Gauge Choke and Load for Plantation Quail in front of Pointers?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Mallard Machete, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Mallard Machete

Mallard Machete Elite Refuge Member

I was thinking of using Improved Cylinder and 1.125 Ounces of #7.5 Lead, for a possible Quail Plantation hunt.

I'm pretty set on the #7.5 Lead. Would you possibly opt for a Skeet, or Modified choke, instead of Improved Cylinder?

2. Brdhntr47

Brdhntr47 Elite Refuge Member

Unless you're an extremely fortunate individual, a Plantation Quail Hunt usually means released birds in one form or another. If that's the case your choice of choke and load will certainly work BUT you don't need a heavy load.
    Depending on the gun I'm shooting I usually use 3/4 to 1 oz. loads. I prefer #8's. For Plantation Quail I shoot a 28 ga. choked IC & MOD. with 3/4 oz. loads OR a 20 ga. choked SKT 1 & SKT 2 with 7/8 oz. loads. OR a 16 ga. choked IC & LT. MOD with 1 oz. loads.
    Depending on where you are hunting, dogs should be good to excellent. You will be shooting pointed birds and shooting will be close.
    Quail hunting is great fun. Enjoy your trip.

Dennis

3. SMF

SMF Senior Refuge Member

Go to Rodger's sporting goods (online) and go buy a case of Federal Paper Light 8's. Fire them through a skeet choke. Even if you miss a lot, you can pick up the shells and smell them.

4. Mallard Machete

I guess I should pattern Skeet and Improved Cylinder with #7.5's and #8's at 25 Yards and see what they look like.

5. RedlegHunter

RedlegHunter Senior Refuge Member

I normally shoot 8's through CYL and SKT in my 20ga O/U on preserve quail and chukar hunts. I would shoot 9's if I could find them, pen raised quail are not a very tough bird if you hit them at all. If we are shooting Phez and Quail mixed I will normally drop to 7.5 and tighten up to SKT and IC for preserve birds.

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Personally, I like the #7 1/2 shot. It is a better all-around game load, and will work for dove or targets alike.

As for the chokes, if your shooting is close, skeet would be a good choice, and IC will work as well. I like IC a bit better, and have shot planted quail that were skittish. We hunted a ranch in which there were a lot of left-over birds, and those birds were tougher and smarter than the freshly planted ones... Another issue that can make the shots a bit further (depending on where you hunt and the quality of the birds) is waiting for a safe shot. Frequently the birds get up close to the dogs, and you have to wait for the birds to gain some distance before you shoot.

I would always rather be a bit too tight than too open, but planted Bob White quail are a fairly soft bird.

Take both chokes with you, start with the one you are most comfortable with, and switch if it is appropriate.

7. Mallard Machete

Thanks for the input guys.

8. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

it would be with a SxS 20 with IC and Mod, 2 3/4" low-base 7-1/2's.
    I'd hope they offer "tradition" through and through, complete with the Democrat Wagon as I'd truly doubt that I could walk the entire shoot all the way through.....probably have to ask one of you guys to walk the last 1/2 mile or so for me.
    On those you miss I'd be a real Southern Gentleman and conveniently have my head turned.;)

9. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

Quail are very easy to kill. An 1 1/8 load of 8s will work. I like the Winchester 1300fps load. The standard quail SxS or OU would be Imp/ Mod. Imp for first shot and mod for second.

I shoot a 20ga with Federal 7.5s because I won a case in a raffle.:l

If you haven't shot quail before remember a couple of things. One, don't walk directly by the dog. Walk a little wide and stop when you get even with his eye. Let him know you are there. Just a pause then walk out as instructed. This sets up zones. Shoot your zone. Don't fiddley-fart around when flushing. Get out there and kick the bushes. Give yourself a second to compose yourself when the covey gets up. Pick one bird. Think "**** bird". That will help you single one out. (White on head). Shoot and mark, shoot and mark. Watch the birds scatter if you are shooting singles. If not, just mark your birds fall.

10. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

.....was exactly the way my Dad taught me when I was 10 years old.
    "Son....be calm and pick one bird....and shoot him 'til he's dead.":yes
    He also taught me to "pick a distant object that is right in line with where you think the bird fell, then drop your hat where you're standing." (when I was a kid we were too poor to own a Bird Dog) This gives you a reference point to find a downed bird in heavy grass & weeds cover. Also, look for any feathers hanging on the weeds when you get near where you think the bird went down.
    I've had some fair to middlin'Bird Dogs in my lifetime and there's a lot to be said for a really well trained one but among all the Breeds I've had I loved the Britts the most. Quick to learn, easy to train and loveable as can be.