12 gauge or 20 ?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Joey O, Mar 12, 2001.

1. Dalton

Dalton Refuge Member

I grew up hunting with a 20 gauge pump and did fine with it. Two years ago I bought a Winchester Super X2 12 3 & 1/2 inch. I love the guns versatility from doves to geese. Where we hunt for pheasant we come across a lot of quail so I normally use 6 shot. It is plenty for quail has not been a problem for pheasants. I would like to shoot 4's, but I do not want to tenderize the quail when they get up.

2. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

I use a 12 most of the time. However, except for pheasants, I shoot 7/8 oz loads in it, which are basically 20 guage loads, or lighter. I just like the extra mass of the 12 gauge, I find most 20's to be really whippy. I will shoot quail with a 28 from time to time, just to get it out and shoot it.

3. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

Well since I only have a 12 i use that. Don't really mind the weight and like to be able to get old tough roosters.

4. E-lim-n-8-er

E-lim-n-8-er Senior Refuge Member

I'd have to go with the sixteen!!!! I have a rem 870 and love it. I also have 2, 20gs. a 410, and two 12gs. and love the 16

5. Rogue Hunter

Rogue Hunter Elite Refuge Member

A 16ga is like a first love, you never quite get over it!! ;)

6. drakewoodie

drakewoodie Elite Refuge Member

I love my 12 ga.....after i see a pheasant get hit once hit the ground running and take 4 more shots just to stop him from running then ringing his neck to get he dead....i believe that i love my 12, 20 alittle light for pheasant....here in kansas we have alot of wild flush and alot of bird that like to run so the bigger bore is always better.

7. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 Senior Refuge Member

I'VE ALWAYS USED MY 12 GA CITORI BUT RECENTLY BOUGHT A 28 GA RED LABEL. IT WILL BE USED MOSTLY ON DOVES, AND QUAIL BUT I MAY BREAK IT OUT ON PHEASANTS OPENING WEEKEND.

8. slammer

slammer Senior Refuge Member

I use a 12 gauge except for the opening day of dove season and I use my winchester single shot .410 for 1 box.

9. blackdog

blackdog Senior Refuge Member

The last ten years or so I've shot a 12 ga. for everything. Used to use an old Model 12, 16 ga. for upland birds.

10. Ledvitamin

Ledvitamin Senior Refuge Member

Any of them work for me.... 12, 16, 20, 28 or 410.......