12 gauge or 20 ?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Joey O, Mar 12, 2001.

1. oldsquaw

oldsquaw Elite Refuge Member

I would have to say 12. Ive never used anything else though. 7 1/2 shot has enough nock down power for pheasants a wont tear up the quail to bad. Rabbits on the other hand....im sur you all know what im talking about :D :D

2. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

Has anyone ever hunting morning doves with a 10 mpg tail wind? I'm glad I have a 12 then. I have 2-12's, a 20 and a 16, and I plan to by a 391 as soon as I get a job. When I hunt quail, I like my A5 16, other wise it's the 12's.

3. Fred in MI

Fred in MI Guest

For pure upland hunting, put me down for a 16 gauge--I got 3 of them: a pump, a semiauto, and a side by side. I also use the 16 with bismuth shot to take ducks over decoys. 1 oz of #6 shot handloaded to about 1275 fps will take any upland bird cleanly, including pheasants.

4. Colby

Colby Senior Refuge Member

I like to use my 12 gauge O/U for all upland, I just adjust my shot and chokes accordingly.

Colby

5. yabetterduk

yabetterduk Senior Refuge Member

I use a 12 becuase it can cover all the base's. I don't own and can't afford any specialty guns. Although I would like to.

6. AURIS LOBB

AURIS LOBB Guest

12 gauge for me... 1187 remington... fours and sixes can't go wrong. I think I would use a 20 gauge just for plugging doves and chuckers. :p :p :p

7. Delta G

Delta G Elite Refuge Member

A 16 guage gun is very forgiving guage and deadly on anything that flys--I have three of them--a Lefever, and old American Arms hammer gun and a beautiful 1920's German sidelock. In recent years, all I have shot is a 12, but am thinking of going back to one of the 16's--I always shot better with them than with my 12 Win 101 and should have figured that out long ago.

8. 20ga Ducker

20ga Ducker Guest

I like my 20ga 1100 for everything. For Chukar if they are jumping far out I'll go to 3in 5's. Quail I'll use 7 1/2 or 6. About the only time I shoot something else is during Sept. dove season I'll shoot my .410 pump.