12 gauge reload

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Peter1307, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Peter1307

Peter1307 New Member

What are your recomendations on hodgdon longshot loading steel shot! ?

2. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

My recommendation is to switch from longshot to alliant steel.

3. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Welcome, see this is your first post. Lots of guys are happy to help, but you have to make that possible. JohnBZ advice above is probably best. But I have 3 minutes so I'll take a shot at the riddle ;)
    If I had to guess...

20ga, 3" cheddite hull, ch209, longshot powder, nc20 card, csd203 wad, 7/8oz #3 steel above felt wad.
    ============
    My BETTER recommendation is that when asking for help on the internet, take the time to think about your question-- if YOU had to answer it for someone else, did you give enough info for anyone to even start to answer?

In your case, no, absolutely not. In order for someone to give you some help, you needed to tell us all of the following:
    1. what gauge shotgun?
    2. what are you shooting? completely different loads for ducks or geese. Some guys are after dove with steel.
    3. what payload do you want to launch-- some guys like 7/8oz, some guys like 1-1/4oz.
    4. what speed will you be happy with? Some want 1300, some want 1700.
    5. what parts do you already have, or will you be buying all parts after this-- what hulls?
    6. what wads?
    7. what primers?
    8. why are you even looking for a longshot steel load, what's the goal? More info may help someone give you a better solution.

Best of luck to you, hope to hear from you again but maybe with a little more info ;)

Peter1307 likes this.
  4. Peter1307

Peter1307 New Member

Thanks so far guys! I'm new to reloading so im trying to get into it since there are so many methods and recipes!

1-I'm going to reload 12gauge!
    2-Looking to reload steel since im using it for geese!
    3- I have a lee load all 2 bought it last week
    4- i only have aguila hulls since i live in mexico (they are just like the Remington long range)
    5- I had some longshot powder thats why i was interested to see some of y'alls methods but i would be able to load lead with the longshot and buy different powder for steel!

5. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

Find everything you can about steel reloading and READ it.
    Reloading steel is not quite the same as lead...it not as forgive .
    Your going to reload 12ga hull.
    How long a hull?
    A Lee reloader work well for lead,
    not so well for steel.

6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

I wish Longshot worked well for steel shot loads as it is easier to come by than STEEL powder. Both STEEL and Longshot are considered to be in the relatively new category of High Energy powders, the high energy designation basically means they have much more Nitroglycerin content than traditional double base powders. Double base powders we all know and have used over the years like Hercules Red, Green and Blue Dot or Winchester AA, 540 or 571 powders had up to 20 % Nitroglycerin content, the newer High Energy powders have up top 42% Nitroglycerin content double that of older powders.
    The main difference between STEEL and Longshot is burn characteristics, Longshot being a ball type powder it's burn rate is controlled exclusively by chemical burn retardant, STEEL's burn rate is controlled by burn retardant and flake size which was engineered exclusively to give a slower burn curve that would work well with steel shot loads.
    Basically Longshot will work for very lightweight steel loads but for all around steel shot use STEEL powder is the way to go as was stated.

Peter1307 likes this.
  7. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Best longshot load I can find is from the MG42 wadsheet, ask BPI for it and they will send. However, with that wad it's only good to #3 shot.
    Recommend 1-1/8oz #B shot at least. You can fit that into a 2.75" hull. There are no recipes for Aguila hulls, but they MAY actually be a cheddite... not sure. Your options will be much bigger with steel powder.

Peter1307 likes this.
  8. sargenv

sargenv Refuge Member

I utilize Longshot with the MG42 wads.. though I tend to go lightweight on the shot..

33.5 Longshot
    MG42 wad
    1 oz Steel 2's or 3's
    Cheddite 3" Hull (Kent 3" are Cheddite)
    Cheddite 209 primer
    Thin .030" over shot card to seal the crimp.

I've killed plenty of ducks and even a few close in (40-45 ish yards) snows with this load.. it is rated by BPI at ~1600 fps.

Previous to that I was loading Alliant Steel with 1 1/8 oz of 2's with the same hull/primer and it was making about the same velocity but burning almost 10 gr more of Alliant Steel (42 or 43 gr as I recall but I have to check to make sure) and using the LBC 43 wad cut with 3 or 4 slits.