12 volt compressor brands

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by 10ga, Feb 4, 2016.

1. 10ga

10ga Elite Refuge Member

Any of you guys using an on-board 12 volt compressor for airing up? Any other good options out there other than ARB? I know ARB makes a good compressor but I really don't want to drop $500 for something I will only use ever once in a while to air my tires back up after trail riding. I have factory diff lockers so I won't be using them to run air lockers. The other concern is not taking 10 minutes a tire or longer to go from 12 lbs back to street pressure which is 30 - 35 lbs on my 35" tires.

2. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I have an ancient Coleman 12V compressor, still works.

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

You could always find an old belt driven compressor to attach to your motor at a junk yard from a semi/military vehicle. Then it'd be push button from the cab while you drive (military called it CTIS). Dunno about the cost, but they were always reliable for us. Had settings for mud, sand, HWY, and emergency. Would one of the tanks you pre-fill before you leave the house work? They are cheap. Buddy has one that will safely go to (I think) 120PSI.

4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

You're gonna have to fork over some cash for a good quality 12v air pump, not much way around it. Look at stuff the guys use on bagged and dropped trucks, they need pretty robust stuff.

Of course you should have room in the engine bay for a York if you wanna get serious about it.

5. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I get buy with a small compressor,.I jack the tire up if low. Yep Im a bit impatient in the back country, a fixed tire generally only gets 30 psi

6. 10ga

10ga Elite Refuge Member

I would up going with an ARB and glad I spent the extra money for a quality compressor. It's amazing how fast even their smaller models pump tires up from 20 to 35 pounds.

7. sdhunter

sdhunter Elite Refuge Member

I didn't want to drop big $$ for a small pump too. I bought a cheap Harbor Freight pump and it lasted 2 trips. I ended up with a SuperFlo compressor. I really liked it, didn't take 10 minutes to air up my tires after wheeling. Just a few minutes to go from 9 to 30 on my 35's.
    I've had it for about 7 years now. Sold my Scout, but still use it for my travel trailer and minor stuff as needed.

10ga likes this.