12ga recommendations for teenage daughter.

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by bbfky, Oct 11, 2018.

1. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

Currently my youngest 13 is shooting a tristar 20 ga. it's been a good gun the last 12 years but it might be time that she moves up to a 12 ga, any recommendations of a light weight 12 for a young girl ? She is currently about 5 4" and will probably wind up around 6ft or taller. Tough girl 2nd degree Black Belt. just looking for something that can shoot 3"s and is light enough to carry around without too much kick.
    All my shotgun are brownings outside of the tristar so don't know much about what's out there
    thanks for any input.

2. Over The Decoys

Over The Decoys Elite Refuge Member

Browning Silver Micro 12 gauge. Fantastic shotgun for any wingshooting she might want to do. I bought it for my son when he went from a 20 to a 12ga. He shot it for two seasons and this past summer I put the full size buttstock on it for him. So in otherwords it has grown with him. Good luck. Just one opinion. I’m sure you’ll get many more.

Cheers,

Adam

3. efs001

efs001 New Member

Im having some issues with a Versa Max i just bought but im still a big green fan at heart....so, the v3 is a great shotgun for the money and not too terribly heavy. Just over 7 lbs if I remember correctly.

4. Sam04

Sam04 Refuge Member

The Beretta a300 has a lop of 13'' to 14 1/2'' it weighs 7.6 lbs. it has been a reliable gun for me.

Squaller and ED Vanderbeck like this.
  5. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Best thing to do IMO is just bring her to a shop that has a large inventory and let her try as many as she can for fit, you can get 100 good recommendations from me and everybody else but if she's not comfortable with a gun she's not going to be happy with it.
    My two cents

Tuleman likes this.
  6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I can also attest to the suitability of the A300. I'd restrict her to 2 3/4" ammo, though, until she puts on some additional pounds. Not that the Beretta is a kicker...it is not...but she's pretty small to absorb the recoil of 3" shells.
    You didn't say what she intends to do with this gun but, being a waterfowl forum, I have to assume it will be primarily a waterfowling piece?

7. gold10

gold10 Senior Refuge Member

What about the Maxus? I bought one with a 26 inch barrel a few years back that I never did shoot very well because it is so light compared to the other guns I have. My son who just turned 13 started using it last year and loves it. The slim fore-end is nice and he shoots the gun really well.

8. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for all the input and advice. She has been hunting the last two seasons this will be her third. She has shoot ducks, geese and doves with her 20ga. This Spring she will be on a 4H trap team so bird hunting and trap shooting. She has grown 4 inches in the last 4 months so she is starting to shoot up. I think she can take the recoil, she competed nationally in TKD and can hold her own in sparring with Adult men in class.

9. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

You may have seen my thread about the tristar I ended up getting for my son.

I have been so impressed by the 20 guage tristar g2 viper I ordered a 12 guage for myself this week.

Curious why you wouldn’t consider one?

10. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

In 12ga, I would give the M-2 a look outfitted in the Youth stock. My wife loves hers

Mayes