16 ga. vs. 28 ga.

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Brdhntr47, Dec 28, 2005.

1. oaklane3

oaklane3 Senior Refuge Member

:clap :clap I could sit and read your stories for hours!! I wish I had the opportunity to live some of the stories you gentleman speak of. I've had many great hunts, but growning up in the 70's here in Ohio, it seemed it was the beginning of the end of an era. We just didn't have many chances at game birds. The pheasants were almost gone by then and chasing bunnies was about all us kids seemed to do. I truely wish I could have been part of some of the stories that you men speak of. I'll go to bed tonite dreaming of pheasant and quail hunts:)
    Warmest Regards, Mike

2. Brdhntr47

Brdhntr47 Elite Refuge Member

Hey setter - You mentioned the rail bird skiffs built by John Taylor. Did you ever get to shoot rails from one of those skiffs? I had the great good fortune to hunt rails with the Camp family down around the Maurice River a few years ago. One of their rail bird skiffs that we hunted from was over 100 years old.
    I think traditional rail bird hunting with a pusher is just about a dead sport. I'm certainly glad I got to do a bit of it. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'd like to try it again.

Dennis

3. setter

setter Elite Refuge Member

yes,er hell yes i work with Gary Camp,my shift commander.and the Messier boys too,the carvers,another of my co workers pushed for Dick Henderson, the carver and rail bird skiff maker,now blind and dying. Some s.ob broke into Dicks shop and stole over a 100 or more decoys. I gun the Maurice River for all sorts of fowl. lot of history with these families,all river rats. Yes Dennis i gun out of uncle johns rail boat.used to swell it for him before each season. swelling is sinking the skiff with rocks then the cedar swells making the boat water tight. The Maurice river,and Mauricetown is home to the oyster fleet,all the boats are 100's of years old and the town itself holds a seafood festival the last week of sept.great time for everybody great seafood ,beer,bluegrass and country music,shame its held the same weekend as the Tuckerton Waterfowl festival.Mauricetown is full of historic homes owned by famous watermen and seas captains ,lil historic signs explaining who lived in what house and what their claim to fame was. Maurice river is where large numbers of liberty ships were built during WW11. dennis some time you and i will meet and share a hunt.alil history and some old bushmill.til then solid points and good chance for a honest double.

4. Brdhntr47

5. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

....just the places and people you 2 guys are talking about made Canvasbacks fly across my computer!!!!!:eek: Both of you are living a piece of History right now.
    My advice....Get a diary, write the notes each day and publish a book. The Waterfowl (and bird hunting) community is thirsting for a book of what you guys already know, have known and are now doing!:tu

6. setter

my lil male setter Freckles got away from my girl and was killed by a woman who never hit the brakes, freckles was pure speed field trial bred and pointed like a statue but ran too big for a foot gunner. i had heard of the ryman strain of setter,bred by Mr. Ryman for years from old show stock that still hunted well. mr. ryman bred 7 different types of dogs that all hunted basically at a slower more comfortable pace.After Freckles was killed i looked for and found address and phone number for Mr. Ryman. He had two places of operation one in west Virginia and one in Shohola Falls.Pa. i called and spokewith mr. Ryman and was told he had no female pups but had 7 litters coming.i said great i'll get a pup. Mr. Ryman explained thati would be put on a waiting list which at this time had 125 names on it,unlikely i'd get a pup soon. it was 69 and pups were 400 dollars,a small fortune back then. I thanked Mr. Ryman and asked to be added to the list,the month was april. very early NOVEMBER THERE WAS AN ADD FOR A FEMALE ENGLISH PUP IN THE pHILADELHIA.iNQUIRE. I called and the pup was the ryman strain ,the owner explained she had no style had no range and was funny looking. I wanted to see her any way ,she was so friendly and looked like a giant cocker spaniel all ears and hair.i fell in love.i asked to see her work and the owner again said she wasn"t much. we took her to a field of standing corn next to a cut hay field she immmediately disappeared into the corn,within minutes she came back with a **** bird, i bought her on the spot. took her home put up a kennel and she howled like a wolf. Pop wasn't having no other dog,me and the dog were told to get out. i soaked her with a hose.Pop got made at me quick and wasn't having a dog abused he was taking her to the pound on monday .later that night i found Pop in his recliner a setter on each side, my Irish i wasn't supposed to get and the new Ryman,Misty was her name. One week later in was opening day of Pennsylvania pheasant season. I was invited to hunt with a close friend and his family in a place called Birdsboro. i thought i was being played for a fool as i was told about pheasants everywhere. Met the farmer right before opening time he gave my friend Bob the ok to hunt just hold up til he and his family hunted the small sweet corn patch. i watched in amazement as 20 or more birds fell to their guns and 27 cocks flew over our heads , Misty was losing her mind,pulling my arm off as each bird flew cackling by. .we started to hunt as soon as Gene the land owner gave us the ok'we started out Misty was charging ahead flushing pheasants everywhere, mostly out of range. i was asked to put her in the truck as she was flushing the birds too far out so in the truck she went and Pop went to sit with her . in next few hours we saw no pheasants,the guys asked me to get her out again,at least they saw birds ,Pop brought his girl out again and he must have worked some old irish magic on her . next she was staunch on point Pop called us over and we flushed a hen, Misty chased like crazy til Pop called her back.with minutes she pointed a again.it was a **** this time it folded neatly at Pops shot and a big clumsy looking puppy brought it right to Pop. 9 mores times she pointed cocks and 9 more retrieves mostly to Pop, my buddies were in shock,Misty wasn't 6 months old yet. I floated home with Pop that day.Misty also retrieved over 20 doves that day. Pop washed the dog i plucked pheasant and pulled dove breasts . Next day Pop feed his girls pancakes and then cooked sunday dinner ,pheasnts stuffed with apples and oranges and wrapped in bacon the dove breasts Pop wrapped in baconc and grilled served with home fries onions and pepper which Pop cooked to perfection.After dinner as i washed dishes i overheard pop tell my Grandma,thats a nice lil dog, she's staying. a love affair that lasted 14 wonderful years had started.

7. Brdhntr47

Jed's first season, both of us struggled with getting use to one another. I was use to my fathers line of Britts which were pretty good meat dogs by six month's and real good by the end of their first season in the field. Jed did not develop at that pace and some day's I doubted that he ever would. Then just before the end of that first season Jed put it all together one day and that was the start of eleven years of hunting over a dog the likes of which I doubt I will see again. Jed hunted a number of states for pheasant,bobwhites,huns,chukars,and of course woodcock and handled all of them. Unfortunately the grouse hunting in my area had evaporated years before Jed's time and he hadn't even scented a grouse till he was four years old. And that was only one grouse which he pointed in Maine while we were woodcock hunting. The year he was five I took him to northern Ontario to hunt ruffed grouse and sharptails. The afternoon we arrived we had a couple hours before dark so we took a ride around to get a little familiar with the area. As I'm driving along we flushed a covey of sharptails from the side of the road. They flew a couple hundred yards and set down. I figured since Jed had been in the truck for four day's I might as well see what he would do. Well within ten minutes Jed has his first point on sharptails,two birds get up and I kill one of them. Jed goes to retrieve it and get's about half way back and stops. He lays the bird on the ground, looks right,then looks left,and then just looks straight at me. This went on for several seconds,then he picked the sharptail up and trotted over to a fallen log and put the bird under the log and just stood there. When I got done laughing, I told him to fetch the bird. He picked it back up,brought it straight in and sat to deliver it just like every other bird he ever retrieved. Whatever it was about that first sharptail retrieve,I'll never know and it never happened again.
    The next morning we hunted ruffed grouse. Five minutes out of the truck Jed pointed. I went in to flush the bird but couldn't get a shot at it. I called Jed off point and started moving. I looked back and Jed's still pointing. I called again and he still didn't move. I go back, walk in front of Jed and a second grouse gets up. I killed that one and Jed retrieved it. That was only the second time Jed had contact with ruffed grouse but he handled them like he had been doing it for ever and kept it up for the rest of his life. God, what I would give to have that dog back.

Dennis

8. Greybeard

.....those 2 stories are exactly what I'm talking about. GREAT stuff!:clap

9. setter

Misty was bred by Dan Cluff of cape may n.j. Dan has one of those dream jobs,pays very well and he works like a 100 days a year .Rest of the time Dan bird or goose hunts ,fishes or smashes clay birds. Dan is a river pilot,responsible for bringing the oil tankers out of the anchorage and up the Delaware river to the refineries. Through knowing Dan i got permission to hunt all the better Cape may woodcock covers. one afternoon i 'm hunting with Norman Basilone , a pro field trial man and Doug RAmsuer ,who owned an awesome brit named Duchess. Duchess who won the very first New Jersey walking shooting dog championship. we have killed a few quail and now go to the Cape to work dogs and shoot woodcock. Duchess and Misty work well together,and Norman is rotating dogs,each one better than the last. We are closing in on our limits ,5 birds each as it is back in the 70's. as we are walking through a cover,mostly holly and grenbriar along the bay we flush a group of ducks i fold two clean and send the third off hit. we keep hunting after i pick up the mallards and admire them before passing one to Doug for dinner. the dogs keep nailing woodcock as the flight is in. Misty's bell stops and after a bit i find Misty pointing under some hollies. I attempt to flush all around but can't flush or see a thing,i am assuming a woodcock is sticking tight. I tap Misty on the heads to relocate she just rocks ,this is repeated as i keep trying to flush then return to tap her on againand again ,no luck she is locked down tight i call Doug to help flush,Duchess slams into a beautiful back.then Normans setter Ciscoe Motion a walking shooting dog champion twice slams ion to a sky kissing back ,nose cocked high and tail reaching for the sky/ Doug nor I can flush or find a thing. Finally Misty stands on the hind Legs as i attempt to collar her away from the area. Misty reaches as high as she can and pulls at the hollies,a drake mallard falls to the ground and misty's on it .It was the third duck i winged but had flown off. we all had a few woodcock and a fat acorn fed mallard for dinner as we rode for home.another fine time with a good group on guys behind a batch of nice dogs,all gone to that big bird field we hope to find someday. my shift went smooth and i'm off to get some sleep.goodnight fellas,good winds and birds in tight for everybody

10. Greybeard

...........a grand opportunity by not publishing your stories. No matter how "well healed" you might be on the financial side of life, everyone can use the spare "folly money" on shells, more guns, trips, paintings.....you name it.
    On the other side.....maybe it would cut into your fun time too much.