1648 War Eagle & 25hp

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by pickadrake, Mar 15, 2018.

1. pickadrake

pickadrake Senior Refuge Member

Does anyone here have any experience running a 648 with a 25hp? I'm looking at picking up a used rig and don't know if the 25 hp will be enough motor. Typically it's just me, a dog and my gear and I'm not in a hurry like I once was, although I don't want it to be a total dog. I know a 40 hp would be better, but wanted to hear your thoughts. Thanks

2. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

My '04 grizzly 1648 was matched with a 25 HP Mercury (short transom/short shaft) and went fast enough- similar load as you- agree 40 would be needed if you carried three hunters and gear. I went to a longtail motor because of my marsh needs, lost lots of speed but gained accessibility.

3. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

I had your set up with a 25hp. It was fine for fishing for myself and son, but I found out quick that for 3 hunters and gear- I needed more motor. A 40hp will be fine , but I got a 50hp. I don't always use that much horse power, but it is there if I need it. Glad I did. Kenny

4. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

I run a 648 with a Yamaha 25 four stroke. It was kind of doggy when I 1st got it with 2 hunters, dog and gear. Max out a little over 20mph. I added a power Trim n tilt and it made a world of difference. It has a 6" set back which allowed me to raise the mounting height which in turn gave me better shallow water performance. I can get up on plane quicker, top end increased to 25mph, the adjustability gives a lot better ride in rough water which is a big plus for me. And last the ability to push a button and trim the motor up when idling through the shallows makes it worth the cost alone.

JP likes this.
  5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

If that is the typical use the rig will be put to, then you'll be okay. Maybe even adding one (smallish) person would be okay. Just be aware that it WILL have its limitations.

6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Dunno your terrain, but that is a good setup for the timber. I see all these dudes “needing” to go 40MPH out there, and can’t understand why. Seen a few get hurt out there doing it.

7. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Perfect set up i have a 1648 polarkraft with a long shaft 2013 25 mercury and its more than enough power with 2 guys decoys and a dog. Just me on board it flys

8. Lastflight

Lastflight Senior Refuge Member

I rode in a WE 1648 with a Mercury 25 2-stroke this winter in AR. Three average size guys and no gear the boat did really well and ran 25 mph on the GPS. I would think it would be fine with two guys and heavy gear or three guys and light gear.

9. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

I run the same set up. I would opt for all the HP you can get. The 25 is fine if you are fishing but loaded with gear to hunt and people its a dog

Mayes

10. pickadrake

pickadrake Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone !