1650 Duck boat project

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Jbryan, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Jbryan

Jbryan Refuge Member

Very cool!! I love the old school paint pattern! What kind of water are you generally hunting? I think I am going to try a Kryptek camo pattern with some whites, tans and dark browns... with a little green mixed in here and there haha. I'm planning on hunting the Missouri River often and there are a lot of wing dikes and sandbars. I think the Kryptek will blend in the best out there.

Also, I thought about finding a welder I could borrow to do my boat since I don't want to spend $3,500 on a worthy tig machine. I have an old mig/fluxcore that I use for basic steel fabrication (trailer modifications, mailboxes, etc.), but it doesn't have an option to attach a spool gun. Honestly the rivets have worked really well. They definitely have been more time consuming for me but at least it has kept the build cost reasonable and they are super sturdy.

2. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

i actually spent 2 years living in St Joe, hunting on the Missouri either by choice or because my luck wasnt so good in the poor mans line. There is a lot of wing dykes. I hunt all kinds of areas from marshes, to reservoirs to rivers. MY last 16 rigs (yea you read that right) have all been stenciled in some sort of way i went a different route with this one. I enjoy modding my boats almost as much as i do hunting, ill spend a year making it perfect use it a season and then find something im not crazy about and sell buy another one. My goal is to keep this one a while (every one i know laughs when i say this cause they all doubt it) but the level of work im doing and have planned for this one will be a step above the rest.

Yea thats what my machine is a mig/flux with spool gun capacity. Not ideal and dialing it in to look decent as been a pain in the assss.

3. Jbryan

Jbryan Refuge Member

16!! That's crazy!! You've got a ton of experience messing with them then, haha! I'm trying to make this one last for me, too. I think the only other route I may go in the future would either be kayaks or layout Kara Hummer style boats.

4. Natedog57

Natedog57 New Member

Just some thoughts on the blade issue... you need to confirm the "aluminum blade" is rated to run at/above the rpm of your saw.

Cutting wax is considerably better than light oil such a small WD-40... just run the blade and press some against the spinning blade.

All the blades wear out over time, but I've had pretty good luck with Lenox blades. Diablo is also usually a quality product.

Every once in a while check to see if the tooth face is loading up with aluminum, this usually happens before they break off... or your piece is moving.

Jbryan likes this.
  5. Jbryan

Jbryan Refuge Member

Awesome! That is great advice, thanks!!

6. ksgoosekillr

after checking my blade for missing teeth that aluminum build up had happened between two teeth, removed that and back to how it was before. The only issue with cutting wax is it then imbeds into the aluminum as you cut. For a rivet project that isnt an issue but for welding it makes you chase all kinds of issues with the metal is dirty or contaminated. As it is i already wipe everything edge down with a degreaser and then stainless wire brush it.

7. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Very cool !:tu:tu:tu

Jbryan likes this.
  8. Jbryan

Jbryan Refuge Member

That's great you got it working like new! I'm going to have to make sure to check for aluminum build up on mine as I continue along. Are you planning on skinning your blind with aluminum sheeting?

9. Jbryan

Jbryan Refuge Member

Thank you so much!!

10. ksgoosekillr

I am going to sheet only parts of it. I plan to have a decoy storage area off the bow that will be sheeted and then the area behind and above the bench. I might break down and do the entire thing but im debating the benefits.

Jbryan likes this.