18' lund alaskan blind options

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by mmasuperman12, Sep 11, 2017.

1. mmasuperman12

mmasuperman12 Refuge Member

So now that the season is peaking its head right around the corner i figure its time to get a blind for the boat. its a 18' alaskan with a side console, hunted my old boat with a beavertail blind and liked it just didnt like losing the room due to the cross members, not against it but more looking at hard sided blinds DIY.

I have a question for those with hard sided blinds... we hunt a lot of tidal water here in maine a lot of it we can't wade where we set decoys, how do you accommodate decoy retrieval?

I was thinking of making it out of EMT and attaching either aluminum or plastic for the sides.

other blind i was looking at was the avery quick set but not sure it will work with the side console and controls.

any ideas are always welcome and i will try and get some pics added. Thanks.

2. bruce

bruce Elite Refuge Member

Is your boat a newer Alaskan? I bought a custom stake blind for my 2010 Alaskan at the same time arthritis made it unsafe for me to use the boat. If it could work for you I would sell it.

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

FYI, the Quick-Set works fine on the Lund Alaskan.

4. mmasuperman12

It is a 1998 alaskan.

Okay good to know i was just worried about the controls with the side console. I do like the looks of it better than the beavertail. Especially seeing that the beaver tail 1800 is only 12' between the hinges. giving up almost a third of the boat.

5. bill cooksey

It'll take ten minutes to get around the controls. If you decide to go that direction, call Avery. They will talk you through it.

6. mmasuperman12

Thanks, I am glad to hear that it will work, i really like the over head concealment avery offers.

7. bill cooksey

Basically, you just make a couple of bends to accommodate the controls. I always just used the boat trailer to do it. It extremely simple, and my being able to easily accomplish it is proof.

8. bruce

They used a different hull for the 18 Alaskan in 98. Don't think the blind will work for you.

9. mmasuperman12

what is so different that it wont work?

10. bruce

The brackets that hold each stake are made at specific angles to match the inside shape of the hull just below the gunwale rail. I'm pretty sure the angles are different from a 1998 to a 2010.