2.7 EB or 5.0?

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by buck_master_2001, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

78,000 miles.

Upper radiator fitting on the heat, literally at the shop right now for that one. Heat was weird, I only had heat at 60mph or above.

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

That’s a weird symptom... did it overheat anytime recently? My heat wouldn’t work when mine got low of antifreeze unless I turned a corner, and more coolant ran to the core, giving me a couple seconds of hot air.

I’ve put 119000 on the 5.7 Tundra since June 2014, and put $900 in repairs into it. Radiator and hoses, and a catalytic converter on one side. Each were $450 fixes. Did the radiator and hoses myself, but I had to have a shop do the cat. I’ve been happy with that.

3. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

The water pump blew up two months ago but I as far as I know it didn't overheat. But I think it is related.

I'm not mechanically inclined so I let the pros do the repairs.

I had a Toyota Tacoma before this. Loved that truck. My friends with Tundras all have good experiences.

4. stevena198301

You may have a coolant leak. If so, it's going to happen again, once the coolant gets low. That is what happened to mine. Had a coolant leak on a small hose, coolant got low, cracked the top plastic piece of the radiator when it got hot one day. Mine appeared to be slowly leaking for quite a while, from the corrosion I could see, not all at once. No coolant on the ground, etc.

A troubleshooter of autos I am not, but most parts on this truck are easy enough to swap. I did the radiator and hoses in a few hours. I do have a trump card though... My dad is a mechanic. I can call him and he can usually give me pointers on stuff. I'd have saved $160 on the cat system, but my impact wrench didn't have enough umph to bust the last two exhaust bolts from the manifold, even with 2 days worth of PB Blaster, so I had to carry it to the shop.

If the new Tundras had the same seats as my current (2008) Tundra, I'd get another one. They changed the back seat config, and the news ones don't slide back and forth and I don't think they recline like mine do. I spend about 20-30 nights a year in that back seat, and the new ones just aren't as comfy. Probably going with a 4Runner next, or a Land Cruiser.

5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

You know you want too---do it! It's only money.....
    https://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/

Sadly they look like every other suv out there these days though

6. stevena198301

Prolly go with a 4.0 4Runner, but we’ll see when I get the mileage out of the Tundra. A LC would be the bees knees.

7. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

What’s everyone think of the new trucks coming out? The new Silverado, Ranger and Ram? I had been seeing the ram and Silverado driving around for a long time by their engineers around here. The Chevy is pretty ugly to me but I bet she will finally rub like a raped ape. The Ram? Now that’s just a sexy looking truck and that interior is ****. I’m undecided on the ranger. I’ll be heading to the Detroit auto show next week to see it all in person.