2.7 EB or 5.0?

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by buck_master_2001, Sep 3, 2017.

1. shell waster

shell waster Senior Refuge Member

Get the coyote. We have an expedition el with a 3.5 eco..when the 3 year /36000 warranty runs out we are getting anew extended warranty. Turbos are expensive to fix. They are blowing out the 6 speed expeditions and f150 for the upcoming trans change...good deals to be had

2. cast&blast

cast&blast Senior Refuge Member

I just had new turbos put on my f-150 ecoboost. Had the check engine light come on when I was traveling to Colorado. Had it checked and I was loosing a lot of boost. Truck had 42,000 miles. Ford tells them to replace the turbos. Few days later light came back on. Still losing boost. Ford tells them to replace the gates on the turbos. Week later light is back on. Ford tells them to replace an o ring. Problem solved. Seems like they should have started with the seals but Im happy to have new turbos and gates. I absolutely love my truck but I probably won't get another ecoboost. Best I have ever gotten is 19 mpg. It pulls like a mule. Pulling a fairly heavy boat and bucking a head wind this spring while I was coming home from Canada the mpg dropped to 10.5 mpg.

3. the_dude

the_dude Elite Refuge Member

I don't know how you are doing that! I have a 2016 supercrew with the 5.0L. The best I've ever gotten on long trips is 17.0. And that is on the lying computer. Every time I manually calculate, I get between .5 and .8/mpg LESS than the computer says.

4. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Yes the computer reads exactly that high. So far since I’ve owned the truck and a little over 2,000 miles the computer reads 20.3.

On a 150 mile trip towing my 1854 loaded down with gear and 5 dozen decoys plus a canoe on the top I averaged right at 17.0 according to the computer.

5. the_dude

Well what the heck am I doing wrong? On the last 5,000 miles, I've averaged 16.0 according to the computer!

6. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

I can show you a picture of mine saying it is getting 99 MPG. reset it and come down from Eisenhower tunnel...

cast&blast and stevena198301 like this.
  7. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

You aren't inflating your mileage claims - it's a pretty common occurrence.

8. the_dude

Can tire size make a huge difference? I have a Roush F-150. It isn't the supercharged, so a stock 5.0L. But it does have 33's.

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Absolutely. Wider/taller tires cause more drag and weight.

tcc likes this.
  10. vizsla2

vizsla2 Refuge Member

Going from memory, my best mileage on my 2013 5.0 was driving hwy 5 (flat) and getting right about 20.4 or 20.5 MPG, manually calculated. I have a 3.55 rear end, non the 3.73, which in theory would help mpg on the freeway. I too recall the trip computer "lying" by overstating my mpg somewhere around .5, but I don't exactly recall. FYI, I was driving slow, just a hair under 65. When I drive 75 plus, MPG went DOWN.

I made the decision to switch from the stock p(assenger) rated tires, to slightly larger E rated AT's (BFG KO2's 275/70/r18). The BFG's are HEAVY and work against MPG due to:
    1. WEIGHT Almost 60 lbs vs something like 42 or 43lbs. this killed both the power and mpg
    2. Tread design
    3. Larger size, just over 1". In theory this would help on the freeway, but it kills both the power and MPG in town.

I was expecting about a 10% hit to MPG overall, but I'm quite certain it's more than that on a tank. On the HWY, not so bad, but I do a mix, so I'd guess for me the MPG hit on average was 15%, or about 3 MPG. But the biggest surprise was the hit to my power. To me, it was pretty significant. I wish I had the 3.73 now.

Last note, with the larger tires, my mileage and speed are slightly off. I'm guessing 3%. So if the truck says I drove 100 miles, I think it's really 103. And when driving 70 MPH, I think I'm really doing 72.1 MPH.