Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

2 Black Ducks

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Scotty, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

I read that this coming year the AHM for American Black ducks is going to fall under the moderate package and will allow for a 2 black duck limit. This would be a great thing, and looking at the harvest data- it looks like MD would easily sustain this. Especially if states
    Like NY, And NJ go to it- as they generally put a much larger dent on the population. Below are the ahm reports and the harvest report
    https://flyways.us/sites/default/files/uploads/2017_ahm_report.pdf

https://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/...rveys/MBHActivityHarvest2014-15and2015-16.pdf

Previous reports

https://www.fws.gov/birds/surveys-and-data/reports-and-publications/hunting-activity-and-harvest.php

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

If I'm reading that correctly it is based on mallard population as well as black duck pop. Basically the mallards are doing poorly enough, which lessens breeding competition while the black ducks are doing well enough to allow for a moderate black duck harvest.

What I'm not seeing is what is considered moderate harvest for black ducks. I do know that the 2016 AHM put us at restrictive harvest, which is 60 days at 1 bird.

3. derek

derek Elite Refuge Member

Montauker and Scotty like this.
  4. derek

derek Elite Refuge Member

If this is truly approved federally - I would really like to see MD accept this recommended moderate package. I saw in NJ the state biologists are holding a public meeting to gather public input on January 13th.. Do we need to get something similar set up? This seems like one of those things where we find out about it too late to make the change and the state already dropped the ball - I would hate to see that happen. What can we do?

5. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

Derek,
    This is the second year 2017/2018 waterfowl season selection kicks off Jan. 2017; as in past years DNR solicits public comments via DNR web site as well as the public meeting in Wye Mills. These protocols have been the norm for many years so don't worry what ever the season selections are offered, all will have the means to provided comments and attend public meeting.

Mayor

6. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

Hell yeah

7. Scotty

Steve- I think the idea here to get the ball
    Rolling early and to make others aware that there is an option that the Feds are approving

8. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

Scotty,

I didn't say their was option for 2 black ducks, I said "season selections". Maybe we forgot, season selections for many years was done in July, summer Atlantic Flyway meeting, States make their selections, public comment period, final selections submitted to SRC late August for final approval.

Beginning last year this was moved up to January/February time frame prior to AF tech meeting and AF Council meeting there after. Our MD hunting license begins July 1st so the Hunting & Trapping Guide for the first time this year has the late waterfowl seasons published in book. DNR had to supplement printed waterfowl season guide in prior years so this change in many ways allows folks months earlier to decide their hunting plans for following season.

As far as 2 black ducks, when I read your post first I heard of it, don't get me wrong not saying its not true. When I review season selections, its the whole package, early teal, RP, divers, AP dates and Sea Ducks. You have many users groups targeting certain species and all share holders of this process do a admirable job managing this process.

9. Scotty

Steve I know how it works but thank you- and because people have not heard of this is exactly why I posted it. It's right there in the links that a moderate black duck limit could be offered this coming year due to the new ahm strategy. Derek posted that other states have already started the preliminary notifications and are planning meetings- as well as posting the new options.

10. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

Here sounds like a great place to make hunters aware of the available option.to spread the word so to speak.