20 gauge 2 3/4 in. Duck Load

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by ALLSTAR 1, Dec 9, 2015.

1. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

My daughter in law is shooting a Remington 20 ga with 2 3/4 in chamber... would like to get her a couple boxes of shells for duck hunting. I would appreciate recommendations..

2. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Remington nitro steel 2 3/4" 4s or 2s.

JP likes this.
  3. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

Go with #3's or #4's. It's nearly impossible to get acceptable patterns with 2 3/4" 2's from a 20 in my experience....

4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I'd agree, and actually stick with the #4's... Even with 3" shells, I could not get the #2's to pattern at all, the #3's were marginal patterns, but #4's pattern quite well... I shot several loads in two different guns with a couple of chokes...

Federal makes a good load at 7/8 oz going around 1425 FPS... They shoot a bit dirty, but they do the job... Good luck finding them in stock though.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

yup

6. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

there are 115 #3 steel in 3/4oz If you can find a load in #3. The real solution is buy her a 12ga.

7. smackin snows

smackin snows Senior Refuge Member

Doesn't matter what brand out of my 20ga , only shot size. It shoots 4s the best. 3s the pattern is blown out, and 2s are absolutely horrible

8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Why?

A 20 gauge is lighter weight and easier for a woman (or child) to handle and shoot safely. Less recoil for a given weight gun. Out to 35 yards, I really do not think you are giving up anything with a 20 gauge on ducks...

dla likes this.
  9. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Allstar You buy the Hevi Shot and I'll make you some killer #6 Hevi loads for her 20 ga, my wife shoots #6 out of her 20 ga and its a real winner on ducks. Most steel loads in the 20 are adequate but Hevi or HW 13 really makes them shine.

10. Dead Eye-NC

Dead Eye-NC Senior Refuge Member

Buy the hevi metal pheasant #4 . it is 2-3/4" shell but it is a 7/8oz load and not the 3/4oz load you will find every where else. patterns very well in in my 1100 20. pm me if you need a couple of boxes

California Flyway likes this.