20 GAUGE FOR A GOOSE ???

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by BADLARRY250, Oct 2, 2017.

1. BADLARRY250

BADLARRY250 Senior Refuge Member

My buddy just bought his wife a Bronwing BPS 20 guage so she could come dove hunting with us sometimes. She's only 5"1" so we bought her a youth model we found at a gun show(really sharp looking gun). She wants to come goose hunting with us and I was just wondering if anyone ever hunts geese or has hunted geese with a 20 gauge before?

2. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

yep!

Shoot them in the head & it won't matter what gauge it its.

Phil Kahnke and Rubberhead like this.
  3. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

So long as a decent load and shooting distance is within reason there shouldn't be an issue.

A good shot with a 20ga is better than a bad shot with a 12 or 10.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  4. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

I have killed a good number of them with a 20ga. Just gettem close.

5. goosegunner12

goosegunner12 Senior Refuge Member

My son started hunting at 9 years old with a rem 870 youth 20. He has a killed tons of geese with that gun. I usually buy him #2 shot in 1oz loads.

6. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

my son started a tad earlier but he also killed alot of geese with that load combo or #1s.. Usually bought Fasteel as it was easy to find.

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

All I shoot is a 20ga. Ducks, geese, upland, whatever. I prefer 4's and 3's. For less experienced shooters, stick with the 3's. More leeway in range estimation. 3's are fine out to 40 on ducks, 35 easily on geese. I/C choke is fine. I shoot I/C-LtMod in my O/U

Keep the ranges close, over decoys, slow moving targets.

Foxwood likes this.
  8. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

We shot lots of geese with our 20s,just try and shoot 1 ounce loads and keep them close.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  9. BADLARRY250

BADLARRY250 Senior Refuge Member

Just curious now, but why is a 20 all you shoot ?

10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I could simply say, "I am old.", but.....
    Less weight to carry. More shells, same space and weight. Less recoil (not that it matters to me, I often shoot 100+ 12ga at the range).

I shot a 20 for about 5 years when I was younger, before Dad bought me the 12ga 870. When I moved up here, with less competition, less 'wary' birds, I got the desire to try it again. Bought a 20ga Baikal, good knock-around gun. Been shooting it for 5 years now. I was 7 for 12 on the opener.

I took it to Canada last year. Limits of geese and ducks every day. Outshot my buddy (who is a very accomplished shot in his own right) who brought his 12. He remarked a couple of times how well I was doing.

A 20 will do everything a 12 will do, until you start going to large shot, 1's or more. If you need that size shot, you shouldn't be using a 20. You might need to choke down one step to stay up with a 12, pattern density wise, but only with 2's.

Then there is the short answer. I just like shooting the 20.

BADLARRY250 likes this.